JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I only own one S&W, and I don't know a lot about them. It's a 14-4 (aka K38 Target Masterpiece). It has had Pachmayer grips on it for years, but they don't fit my hand right (too big front to back). Last week, I bought some factory grips from another member here which look great on the gun, but they are too small for my hand (I think they're called service grips). So, I bought some custom wood grips at the show yesterday that fit my hand right, but they don't fit the gun. They were marked S&W K-frame square butt, which is exactly what I have, but the bottom of the backstrap sticks way out of them. Anyone know what they fit? I don't know what a J-frame or an N-frame look like; I'm just curious if these might be interesting to someone else who has the right gun. Here are some photos in case I'm explaining it wrong. The first is the gun with factory stocks - flat sexy, eh? The next two are the gun with the incorrect stocks. Thanks for any help.

IMG00490-20111017-2051.jpg

square butt grips will fit on a round butt frame not the other way, please don't mod your gun to work with those grips. Hunt down some factory target grips, from any "K" or "L" frame model, or try and find some hogue wood grips. The model 14 is a truly accurate revolver, a gem of the old S&W product line, mine did well with wadcutters and a mild load, until it was stolen.

square butt grips will fit on a round butt frame not the other way, please don't mod your gun to work with those grips. Hunt down some factory target grips, from any "K" or "L" frame model, or try and find some hogue wood grips. The model 14 is a truly accurate revolver, a gem of the old S&W product line, mine did well with wadcutters and a mild load, until it was stolen.

Thanks. I actually found a set of factory target grips yesterday - right after I bought these. Unfortunately, I can't justify / afford to buy a 3rd set of grips for the same gun this week unless I re-sell these first. I'm actually considering selling this gun to fund an AR project, but I'm afraid to do it (I know I won't be in a position to replace this with anything as nice in the near future). We'll see.

You already have a pair of S&W factory service grips (aka "magna" grips) so no need to hunt down a set of expensive target grips. I would go to eBa* and find an inexpensive pair of wood or rubber grips to use for shooting. Make sure they say they fit the K frame square butt. Save the nice magna grips for if you ever decide to sell the gun. I have a pair of really nice looking Sile walnut target grips I recently bought ($25 delivered) that I use for my N frame M27-2 . The S&W walnut target grips are stored away, as it just keeps getting more expensive to replace them. Allot of people are doing this. Just search for "K frame grips" on eBa* and you will see plenty to choose from.

For more info, the S&W forum is great for any advice you need in the future on your particular model and they are user friendly (like the NWFA!) S-W Forum

Hey Beef.....I've got what looks to be the twin brother of your .38. I've got the original grips I'm guessing but there is an insert, grip adaptor which makes shooting with the original grips easy. Haven't got the pic thing going yet, but the adapter says "Mershon Co. INC. Sure Grip Adapter, Glendale Cal." It has two tabs that go between the grip and the frame to hold it in place.

This gun was grandpas police issue gun as I understand, and I dated it to 1951 via S&W.
A very special firearm.

Mike

Thanks everyone. I have looked at the Tyler T-Grip adapter, but they are back-ordered. However, one member generously offered me a set of rubber grips that might work, and another member has offered to trade me factory target grips for the service grips. What a great community!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top