JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just recently purchased a S&W MP Shield. I found it very hard, if not almost impossible, for me to rack the slide back hard or even operate the slide stop.
I was told that I should shoot it and brake it in and it would get easier to work the slide. Well, as there isn't anyplace near me that I would go to shoot it except the Bull's Eye indoor range in Tacoma to do that (I don't like the Clear Creek Range nor the Gig Harbor ranges) I decided to brake it in using the "Handi-Racker" This worked good and I worked the slide back and forth and dry fired it each time for over 350 times. The slide didn't really get any easier for me to work.
So, I purchased a Stainless Steel Guide rod with spring. It got to me today and I installed it. What a difference it made. No problems now.
However, I also noted that +P ammo isn't recommended (and I just purchased two 50 round boxes of Federal Premium Law Enforcement 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain HST) Guess, what I will do is go to the range and install the old spring and shoot the 100 rds. I can understand the reasoning for not using the +P with the new spring as it is so much lighter of a spring it would probably slam the slide back to hard into the frame of the pistol and cause damage.
Made my want to ask the question: Has anyone that has installed this spring into their Shields experienced any problems with it?

I just recently purchased a S&W MP Shield. I found it very hard, if not almost impossible, for me to rack the slide back hard or even operate the slide stop.
I was told that I should shoot it and brake it in and it would get easier to work the slide. Well, as there isn't anyplace near me that I would go to shoot it except the Bull's Eye indoor range in Tacoma to do that (I don't like the Clear Creek Range nor the Gig Harbor ranges) I decided to brake it in using the "Handi-Racker" This worked good and I worked the slide back and forth and dry fired it each time for over 350 times. The slide didn't really get any easier for me to work.
So, I purchased a Stainless Steel Guide rod with spring. It got to me today and I installed it. What a difference it made. No problems now.
However, I also noted that +P ammo isn't recommended (and I just purchased two 50 round boxes of Federal Premium Law Enforcement 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain HST) Guess, what I will do is go to the range and install the old spring and shoot the 100 rds. I can understand the reasoning for not using the +P with the new spring as it is so much lighter of a spring it would probably slam the slide back to hard into the frame of the pistol and cause damage.
Made my want to ask the question: Has anyone that has installed this spring into their Shields experienced any problems with it?
It should not be that difficult? I recently purchased a 9mm S&W MP Shield myself and I can rack the slide just fine with it. Possible that a part is defective?

We got a 9 Shield in 2015, and it did take some time to break in. It was stiff but over time it got easier.
Today its still on the stiff side but very easy to pull back.. Od though to have a ammo limit on teh new part that bothers me because if you sell it or down the line forget or what ever you could harm the firearm with wrong ammo. Thats why I love my Sig, wrong ammoo_O ??? no such animal LOL. But I do like how darn accurate that shield is for a CC size firearm.

No problem about selling it with the original spring. I won't toss it. I just purchased some Federal 9mm HST 147 Grain Standard Pressure rounds for carry rds.
In case your interested:

You've got a small 9mm with reduced slide travel that still has to manage the recoil from an effective defensive round. There really aren't a lot of options but to have a recoil spring that's stiff enough to keep the slide from battering the frame when cycling. Ergo, it's stiff. It will loosen up, though. I've got the Performance Center Ported 9mm Shield and it was a little stiff at first, but nothing close to something like my Beretta 84FS Cheetah .380 that has a blowback versus a tilt-barrel Browning style lock up. Give it a chance. It might tire you out a bit, but you can practice racking the slide over and over again. It won't be as quick, but it'll have the same effect in terms of loosening up the spring a bit. They're great pistols. Don't give up on it.

Well, I wish I would have seen this before I ordered the SS guide rod and spring.
I was a little disappointed to see that I can't shoot +p ammo with this spring installed. Also I have read that maybe I shouldn't use the 9mm NATO either because of higher pressures. So, I ordered one of these. The DPM Recoil Spring Reduction System for the S&W M&P Shield. I have a lot of 9mm NATO and other 9mm +p ammo and I don't have a problem shooting it with the DPM system, it also makes it easier to rack the slide and apply the slide lock. Here is a little more info about it:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top