JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering rebarreling this Model 10-8 with a 6-inch Clark barrel and a dot sight, as depicted. I'll add it to my "pest control" battery. S&W M10HB-3.JPG

It would probably be worth more without the modifications.... These nice older Smiths are getting more difficult to find in original condition and their value is increasing rapidly just like Colts did.

But alas it is yours, do with it as you please.:(

I was advised by an ethical gunsmith, Mr. Les Jonnson, Clark County Gunsmithing, not to impact its "collector value" through modification. Candidly, it bothers me that the revolver is sitting dormant in the safe. I can't allow any firearm to gather dust, but I carry an autoloader for a personal sidearm and another is my "house gun". It's such a pain in the gluteus to sell it for what it's worth that I lost interest in selling it. I would turn the task over to Mr. Jonnson (Clark County Gunsmithing), and I will ask him to install the new barrel and base. I'll have the barrel Cerakoted at Buster Beaver LLC in Wilsonville, OR.

Last Edited:
I was a gunsmith at a S&W factory warranty service shop back in the early Pleistocene. The build quality on those old Smiths is superlative and they aren't making any more of them. You might want think twice before you screw it up. Example: I had Detective Special in so-so condition. I converted it to DA only, and it worked pretty well and I did carry it. Now those old DSs are scarce and I wish 1) that I still had it, and 2) that I had left it original.

I've decided to address other shooting priorities and, for the present, keep this S&W Model 10HB as is. If the revolver's barrel was pitted or if the revolver was a mess, I'd feel better about changing or upgrading it, but...if it isn't broke, there's nothing to fix.

I had this N-frame S&W Model 58, a .41 Magnum, done at Cake-Davis in Sacramento, CA, years ago. Sold it to a police officer who, unfortunately, didn't reload and couldn't duplicate the (reduced) loads I used for accuracy. S&W M58 41 Mag CU.jpg

I think to this day? one is advised for proper Bullseye (one handed.. you know) shooting to use a larger caliber. anyway, so now you got yourself a barrel.

PPC guns are cool. But, it's not only about the barrel thickness and sights. Think, special trigger mods too. Some of mine....

012-1.jpg
016.jpg

Back to the original question.....IMHO, do what makes YOU HAPPY.

Aloha, Mark

A good smith can unscrew that original barrel, mount your rail and sight on your new barrel and away you go.. Get tired of it and stick the original back on!

I've seen it done!

As for finding another like it, in perfect condition. That would take a couple days! But they are around!

A good smith can unscrew that original barrel, mount your rail and sight on your new barrel and away you go.. Get tired of it and stick the original back on!

I've seen it done!

As for finding another like it, in perfect condition. That would take a couple days! But they are around!
I've set this project aside (for the present) because I'd like to shop for another used S&W K-frame. Mine is in excellent shape and I'm reminded by my gunsmith that it's pointless to fix what isn't broken. I'd seen others locally that are going for $399, and it seems to make better sense to upgrade one that's used & bruised. I appreciate your comments!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top