JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 459 i gave my day years ago that was one of his favorite pistols, now that he is gone it is back in my hands. It is nickle plated with a alloy frame. Anyway he carried this thing everywhere and when he passed no one could find it. Well I finally ran across it in a old leather holster he had made, that had gotten wet and started rotting. The gun itself shoots fine and all of the internals are ok, but the alloy frame has had a lot of the plating come off and there is pitting in some places with the worst hit part being the trigger guard. I have no intention of selling this pistol and want to clean it up and either have it replated or as a last resort cerakote. Does anyone know of a place i could get it re nickeled around Portland?
Thanks for the help.

20171018_072721.jpg 20171018_072710.jpg

Last Edited:
Pioneer Metal in Tualatin has their FFL, I can't vouch for the quality as I've never had any work done. Might be worth checking out.

well got my response and basically they don't offer it now. here is a copy of what they said.

Dear Peter,

Unfortunately nickle plating services are temporarily unavailable from the factory at this time. I would recommend contacting us in the future regarding availability of this service.

I do apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to grant your request and I truly appreciate your patience and understanding in the matter

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us
Thank you and Have a Great Day!

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Brett

so they don't do it but it was a quick reply and a nice email.

Bad luck there. However I'm sure there are outfits that will do the job. I'm pretty sure Ford's Refinishing can do it but they're crazy expensive.

Well i called the local guys and they said no problem, about a two week turnaround and around 200.00 so I'll be sending it in sometime next month. Thanks for the help, you guys are great.
That's not too bad. Probably the best way to go.
I was going to say, if a guy was handy and daring he could give it a go himself. There's plenty of youtube videos on nickel plating on the cheap.
Let us know how she turns out!

Well i called the local guys and they said no problem, about a two week turnaround and around 200.00 so I'll be sending it in sometime next month. Thanks for the help, you guys are great.

Damn nice pistol and glad you found someone to put it back to new for you since it has sentimental value. Make sure you post new pics when it's done and back to it's old glory.

well got my response and basically they don't offer it now. here is a copy of what they said.

Dear Peter,

Unfortunately nickle plating services are temporarily unavailable from the factory at this time. I would recommend contacting us in the future regarding availability of this service.

That's what I feared would be the case. I contacted them by phone some time ago on the possibility of obtaining parts for another classic Smith. I was basically told that they had sold their legacy model parts stock to dealers and would only be stocking current production stuff from now on.

'Tis not the old Smith & Wesson any more.

not yet, my truck's transmission started to have some problems while i was out of state and i had to drop 1k on it to get the electronics and fluid/filter changed. So the plating will have to wait till january unless i find extra cash somewhere, or sell something.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top