JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am considering trading and or selling my 629 classic. I am a guitar player and would like to get my hands on a gibson les paul. Anywho.. trying to figure out what a fair price and or trade value would be for the gun. I purchased this gun new in 02 from keith's guns in gresham oregon. It has around 120 rounds through it. Also has the original box, key and trigger lock etc.. Thanks much :)

sw629.jpg

I would value it a hair lower, probably $600 to $700. That wart above the release drives it down. A lot of people look for pre-lock guns, especially on higher recoiling revolvers...

thanks for the replies :)

is there a problem with the locks? i"ve never had a problem with it. however, i've never really used it either hehe..

Last Edited:
For one thing the concept is just wrong, taking the simplistic operation (real or otherwise) of a revolver and making it complex it with a key lock.

There have been instances where the locking mechanisms have been engaged under heavy recoil.

This. I don't do locks either. All my S&W's are pre-lock, pre-MIM...

In order to open the cylinder, load two rounds, shoot one round DA and one round SA, open the cylinder, eject the spent shells, and close the cylinder, there are well over 300 separate movements (I know, I was required to list them all in Gunsmithing School). There have been great innovations in revolver safety, such as the hammer flag safety, which allows the revolver to be carried safely hammer down on a loader chamber. This is not on of those instances. It adds an unnecessarily complex mechanism to the inside of an already complicated mechanism. It has shown that it is not fool proof. It can and has engaged during heavy recoil. This issue mainly exists with low weight, high recoil guns (such as the 329PD).

I am certainly not saying that you don't have a nice gun. I'm not saying the gun is not usable. I am saying that I prefer pre-lock guns because I am not faced with the decision of removing a "safety" from a firearm in order to make it acceptable to me. That is why I place a lower value on your gun that some others have. I meant no offense, and hope you did not take it as such.

again, thanks for all the feedback. i was actually offered $800 over the summer and was not interested in selling at the time. makes me wonder what the deal is with that. i was thinking you could get a brand new one for somewhere around that price. not sure what the diff is between a 2001-2002 model and a new one. anywho, i understand different feature preferences and took no offense to comments on mine.. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top