JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an older Hi-Standard 22lr magazine that has seen better days.

Would like to restore it to something that won't give me tetanus and functional in the gun.

Any ideas on how to start? Specifically removing the rust and possibly putting a coating on it so it doesn't rust again?

20210409_150349.jpg

Get it Cerakoted ;)

Buster Beaver Design, LLC
503-855-4181

"I" would go to Tractor Supply and get a gallon of Evapo-Rust. Or, Amazon can get it to you. Used by firearms refinishers. Will remove the rust, but also the remaining blue. Ffirst, good to soak it in Kroil, or wire brush it just enough to get the loose rust off, then let the Evapo-Rust do the rest. After that, the new finish is your choice. Might also see if Wolff Gunsprings has a fresh spring, as that has weakened as well.

Try 'the penny trick' which is to use an all copper penny (pre 1982), light oil, and gently scrub the rust with the 'flat' of the penny using your fingertip.

Done correctly this works very well.

Let's not over think this! Get your favorite cold blue. Using 0000 steel wool apply the cold blue using protective gloves of course. Continue applying the cold blue as the rust disappears and blue appears!

I have used this method several times to remove heavy rust. Lite rust, I have used a piece of course cloth like denim or even burlap. When doing a large surface like a barrel with lite rust this method of "rubbing" it in helps to prevent streaking!

Smiles,

Take a look at this method. I've had good results and it's easy to do.

Evapo-Rust is awesome. I would disassemble the mag, soak it in that, then give it a light polish with oil and bronze wool. You could give it some spray paint afterwards or have it blued/parked/cerakoted. Or leave it white and oiled.

Apple cider vinegar or molasses soak followed by bead blasting.
rust removal

When I was into restoring motorcycles I was introduced to soaking things in a vat of apple cider vinegar or for gas tanks the vinegar and pea gravel and shake it every few hours. Works great and it's cheap for removing rust.

Remember bluing is rust so you will need to apply a coating after the rust has been removed, bluing. cerakote, gunkote, etc..

Would like to restore it to something that won't give me tetanus and functional in the gun.

Any ideas on how to start? Specifically removing the rust and possibly putting a coating on it so it doesn't rust again?

View attachment 858242
Soak in a sealed container of molasses or coca cola

View attachment 858242
Soak in a sealed container of molasses or coca cola...will take few days. Will dissolve the rust. use a cold blueing solution to recolor

I have used a bath of molasses to remove rust from antique auto parts. Just fill up a jar with the molasses and deposit your magazine in it and leave it alone for a week or so. Works like a champ. Look at YouTube videos if you have trouble believeing me.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews