JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty much the same thing on my Compact Carry II. The slide sides and beavertail would get rusty almost before your eyes. I would unholster at night, give it a good wipe down and a light coat of oil, and by morning it would have a thin coat of rust! Kimber replaced the slide and beavertail on it AND ceracoated the whole shebang at no cost to me!

WD-40 that sucker and use 0000 steal wool to remove the rust.

Get a silicone coated rag and polish the living daylights out of it when it dry.

Has kept my dad's old 12ga rust free and I havnt had to do anything to it for years.

It came to me covered in rust on just about everything.

That's odd, my old 870 Express is as rust resistant as it gets.
Used it for waterfowl in the worst, wet weather! Don't do anything special to it, beyond wiping it down with a silicon cloth when I handle it.
I also have two Kimber of Oregon rifles that are over 25 years old and no rust issues there either! I will say that my house is so dry that we have to use skin conditioners most months of the year. If worst comes to worst, Cerakote it.

Last Edited:
While working in a pawn shop awhile back , I often saw rust issues on 870 Express shotguns.
Mostly the rust was on the receiver , bolt or barrel.
A hit with WD40 , KROIL or Hoppe's Lubricating oil and 0000 bronze wool or an oily rag would remove it.
But within a day or two it would re appear.

The only remedy I found was to remove the rust , wipe the gun dry and give it a light , thin coat of RIG gun grease.
( rubbing it into the metal , not just spreading it on )
The RIG seemed to "work" its way into the metal and not stay on the surface.
Be that as it may , the rusting did stop.

I have a 870 Express and have not had these rust issues.
It makes me think that the 870 Express had rust issues for a few years , then did something to fix the issue.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews