JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I resemble this thread. You go elk hunting, you come home after a week dead
tired, and a few days later you wonder where your rifle is....DOH! in the case getting rusty! Man! That was on my BAR and she was never the same. I just sprayed it down and cleaned as nice as possible.

I've heard #0000 steel wool w/ break free clp, or some other cleaner works well. Make sure the steel wool is #0000 (4 zeros, not 3), and that there is always plenty of cleaner to lubricate the surface. I haven't tried this yet myself, but I will in the next few days. If you're not feeling especially brave - wait a bit, and I'll report back on how it turned out.

I've heard #0000 steel wool w/ break free clp, or some other cleaner works well. Make sure the steel wool is #0000 (4 zeros, not 3), and that there is always plenty of cleaner to lubricate the surface. I haven't tried this yet myself, but I will in the next few days. If you're not feeling especially brave - wait a bit, and I'll report back on how it turned out.

Yep this is what I do.

Try Corrosion-X. Great for preventing and removing rust. I just removed some rust with some last week on an antique nickel pistol and a blued shotgun.
<broken link removed>

I have used 000 and 0000 steel wool with wd-40 for over 35 yrs and it works good to scrub off that rust. Just keep the steel wool lubed up good and it usually gets the rust off, jsut go slow, and all shoudl go well. It also depends on how polished the metal is as to what size steel wool I use. :s0155:

Yep 0000 steel wool, and a high quality WD-40 equivalent.

Then keep the surface covered with S&W advanced gun oil, with Cerflon.
It leaves a film, that blocks out moisture.

My duck hunting gun gets a spray paint coat of OD green, to keep it covered. It's not pretty, but it keeps the water off the metal.

Some say steel wool, others say the steel wool leaves deposits that cause more rust. I'd use red scotch brite pads and WD-40 if it were me. WD-40 is horrible as a lubricant but it's great at diplacing water and preventing rust. After the scouring is done I'd wipe her down with Hoppes #9 and then a coat of oil.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top