JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's a guy on another forum who's made quite a science out of it, says it can be made to work well.
If it's the same forum I have seen, yes he has made quite a science out of it. More science than shooting however. If it's not the same forum then someone else is experiencing the same.
For some people reloading is not worth the time. It is for me. For even more, casting isn't worth it. It is for me. Doing things like making gas checks and reloading .22 LR? That's a bridge too far, even for me...
I agree. I load all my own ammo and the hobby aspect negates the time invested and even that is minimal as I have a pretty good reloading system that works for me. I also do a lot of tinkering as well, and some of it is tedious however usually its experimental in nature, or something one time only and not repetitive so it's nothing I tire of.

Last Edited:
In case anybody is running out of 22lr ammo... Load yer own damn it!

Here ya go!

Want to use yer reloading press? Here's the die:

Note: the powder can be used to reload primers. That's how I found out about these folks.

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound

Caution: It is corrosive. Firearms should be cleaned right away. Not a big deal in reality, you just be lazy.. Here's a couple of links...

https://concernedpatriot.com/how-to-clean-corrosive-ammo/

My concern would be the existence of the firing pin crimp, from a previous firing...too many chances of misfires, for me.

I could see it in Alaska, maybe, as there might not be a reliable supply and you use it for subsistence I would lose half my cases unless a manual action.

It would be interesting at first

I can buy a lot of pellets and I have a lot of 22LR, maybe 20,000
You can never, ever have too much ammo. Unless you have to carry it on your back ... because that stuff gets heavy fast. Seriously, you'd think it was made of lead or something.

I have one 10,000 round case, and it is heavy!
This may be of some assistance:

Screenshot_20210425-184257_DuckDuckGo.jpg

😁

With 35K rounds of .22 rimfire, I don't think I will run out in my lifetime no.
Nice. Be about 5 years for us. Hope to live longer than that lol.

Honestly I am thinking more along the lines of the 22 Magnum and it's importance in a total collapse and other rimfires too I guess.

This recent drought has brought home the importance of primers and powder and being able to do as much as you can with nothing. Since this can actually be made yourself from non controlled materials it is worth exploring for me. Time is the biggest limiting factor.

Nice. Be about 5 years for us. Hope to live longer than that lol.

Honestly I am thinking more along the lines of the 22 Magnum and it's importance in a total collapse and other rimfires too I guess.

After my thread about what guns/ammo to take back to 15,000 years ago, I got. to thinking about guns and ammo a different way than as a prepper (possible resupply/sharing/bartering/etc.) - the ammo I would take with me would be the only ammo. No resupply/etc., only what I could carry/haul - so a bit different take. The .22 WMR/WRF occurred to me to be more efficient than .22 LR/et. al. or .223 with regards to weight. Not that I wouldn't want .223, especially since I could shoot .22WMR/WRF in a .223 rifle with an adapter - although I would want a .22 WMR rifle too, but I could get a .22 WMR rifle that weighed under 2 pounds.

Previously I was always comparing the .22 WMR to 5.7x28, the latter being more powerful, centerfire (more reliable for self-defense) and available in SD firearms. Ditto with .223 which I could always load down to .22 WMR power levels. But when it comes to a mass/size constraint of what could be hauled thru a time travel portal under human power, then the calculus changes with regard to size, weight vs. velocity/power/etc.

I am currently looking for a stainless Crickett in .22 WMR to make into a lightweight pack rifle.

One years worth on the sage rat fields with 6 young shooters.......

Yeah, we don't shoot that much. If SHTF at least some of my rimfire ammo would probably be bartered off, but we wouldn't be shooting for fun. I still want to get more rimfire ammo - I only have about 1K rounds of match grade HP ammo, half of that being subsonic. I want to buy a couple thousand rounds more. I have plenty of bulk ammo for fun shooting and practice (also for bartering if SHTF), and enough of premium ammo (CCI minimags, etc.).

The .22 WMR/WRF occurred to me to be more efficient than .22 LR/et. al. or .223 with regards to weight.
I don't intentionally hoard ammo but I did end up with a nice little backlog, and that sort of accidentally includes a decent quantity of 22lr, 22WMR, and 17HMR along with the more usual "HD" or hunting suspects.

In the last few years, I find myself in real danger of becoming a 22WMR fan. I've never had a misfire yet (unlike 22lr) and it's actually a pretty decent round. And I don't have to chase brass.

However, it does seem like the ammo drought might be in the stage where supply finally is catching demand for whatever reason.

In the last few years, I find myself in real danger of becoming a 22WMR fan. I've never had a misfire yet (unlike 22lr) and it's actually a pretty decent round. And I don't have to chase brass.
The XT model from Rock Island and the Savage A22 mag are a couple to check out. Once you get bit by the bug the collection of 22mag firearms does grow. I have several and have had many more, you'd be surprised how many different offerings there are or have been.

The XT model from Rock Island and the Savage A22 mag are a couple to check out. Once you get bit by the bug the collection of 22mag firearms does grow. I have several and have had many more, you'd be surprised how many different offerings there are or have been.

I was just looking at the CZ 455 with integral suppressor barrels. I would like to buy one without the non-suppressor barrel, but rather with integral suppressor barrels for .22 WMR and .22 LR, but can't find info on whether that is possible. Also, maybe the 457 instead?

My goal is a .22 WMR with integral suppressor ~16" barrel, with a Hogue rubber stock, as light as possible. Being able to switch to .22 LR like the CZ rimfires do would be a plus. Vacillating between bolt and semi - as long as they are equivalent with regards to accuracy - Magnum Research says they sell an integral suppressor barrel, I know Thompson Machine does for the 10/22, including the takedown, and I already have a takedown but not in .22 WMR.

I.E. considering my options

I was just looking at the CZ 455 with integral suppressor barrels. I would like to buy one without the non-suppressor barrel, but rather with integral suppressor barrels for .22 WMR and .22 LR, but can't find info on whether that is possible. Also, maybe the 457 instead?

My goal is a .22 WMR with integral suppressor ~16" barrel, with a Hogue rubber stock, as light as possible. Being able to switch to .22 LR like the CZ rimfires do would be a plus. Vacillating between bolt and semi - as long as they are equivalent with regards to accuracy - Magnum Research says they sell an integral suppressor barrel, I know Thompson Machine does for the 10/22, including the takedown, and I already have a takedown but not in .22 WMR.

I.E. considering my options
I'd go with the magnum research for your wants or build an 80% version, I've been contemplating building one. http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/MAGNUM Page 11A.htm

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top