JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question? I am down to my last few hundred bullets for 9mm but I have a few thousand bullets of .357 that I don't use. So my question is can I shoot 357 bullets out of my 9mm? I know 9 is .355 and my plated 357 says .356. I'm sure i can push the bullet out of my gun but to what cost to the barrel?

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

I'd buy the proper bullet - not sure how well the .38 cal bullets would feed and if the slightly larger diameter would cause pressure issues. I do know that 9mm parabellum is very sensitive to pressure issues where slightly seating the bullet too deep will cause it to be unsafe.

So long as the 356" bullets are the right shape to feed correctly, and the right weight that you want, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Plated bullets are just lead bullets with a thin copper coating. I routinely size my 9mm cast bullets to .357". Just work up a new load with the new bullets accordingly.

Plated bullets are often quite thick.. they can be as thick or thicker than traditional jacketed bullets.
I'd slug that barrel and see.. it's likely you can use those .356's.
You could always size them to .355 but most reloaders likely only have .356 and .358's.. for lead.

I have a question? I am down to my last few hundred bullets for 9mm but I have a few thousand bullets of .357 that I don't use. So my question is can I shoot 357 bullets out of my 9mm? I know 9 is .355 and my plated 357 says .356. I'm sure i can push the bullet out of my gun but to what cost to the barrel?

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

Yes, but, I would not go crazy of course until you make sure the load works. Pick something on the low end, make sure OAL is on the high end, load up a box and try them. If they feed you are not going to harm the pistol. Obviously just don't want to make a bunch then find out they will not feed well. For making some plinking ammo they will be safe.

My plated 9 mm bullets measure .356, too. A lot of cast bullet shooters size their bullets to .357 in their 9 mms to insure obturation of the base to fit the groove diameter of the bore. You should go down to a fishing shop and pick up some #9 lead egg sinkers and drive one down the bore of your gun. You tube has some good vids on how to do that. Measure across the widest point of the sinker after you've slugged the bore, and that will tell you your bore diameter at the grooves. If it's .356 or a little more I'd feel safe with using your .357 bullets- if they do indeed measure .357. I'd bet your going to see .3555 - .356 bore diameter. RMR can ship some to your door via the postal service if you need to buy some <broken link removed>

My plated 9 mm bullets measure .356, too. A lot of cast bullet shooters size their bullets to .357 in their 9 mms to insure obturation of the base to fit the groove diameter of the bore. You should go down to a fishing shop and pick up some #9 lead egg sinkers and drive one down the bore of your gun. You tube has some good vids on how to do that. Measure across the widest point of the sinker after you've slugged the bore, and that will tell you your bore diameter at the grooves. If it's .356 or a little more I'd feel safe with using your .357 bullets- if they do indeed measure .357. I'd bet your going to see .3555 - .356 bore diameter. RMR can ship some to your door via the postal service if you need to buy some <broken link removed>
Dang that RMR bullets are a good deal with the free shipping. Looks like I'll order some

9mm bullet test.jpg
My cast and sized .357, 145Grain HP work just fine with 5.5garains of Accurate #7.
It's a "compression load" with that heavy bullet, but they shoot great.:)

I don't know, but I've been shooting .357" jacketed bullets out of 9x19 guns since about 1974 without any issue (and 0.358" cast bullets).
When all you folks were sucking up all the 0.355" bullets, I was buying 0.357" bullets to my heart's content.
Never saw any pressure signs, but I always start all loading at the start load and work up.
0.356-0.357" jacketed bullets also tend to be more accurate than 0.355" bullets.

I have been wanting to try 357 bullets for 9mm as alot of 357 diameter bullets have a cannalure but 99% of 356 bullets do not, can you use jacketed round as well? I see that Corbin makes a cannalure tool but thats quite a chunk of change just for a cannalure vs buying hornady xtp's.

I don't know, but I've been shooting .357" jacketed bullets out of 9x19 guns since about 1974 without any issue (and 0.358" cast bullets).
When all you folks were sucking up all the 0.355" bullets, I was buying 0.357" bullets to my heart's content.
Never saw any pressure signs, but I always start all loading at the start load and work up.
0.356-0.357" jacketed bullets also tend to be more accurate than 0.355" bullets.

Do you slug your bores, noylj? Mine all measure more than .355, but I don't own any custom handguns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top