JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for sharing! My Dad bought one of these about 25 years ago. Was the first tax stamp he collected, I believe. His was the shorter barrel, blued version with the factory wood side folder stock. Firing pin (I believe) ended up breaking. He sent it back to Ruger, who took care of the repair. He also paid a very reasonable cost for a factory reblue on the gun. It looked great and worked great when it came back from Ruger. He ended up selling it about 10 years ago. Was a cool gun and lots of fun to shoot! Watching this video on the AC 556 brought back good memories of shooting his gun with him.

That reminds me. Folding stock Mini-14. The OTHER object of my teenage desires...

a-team.jpg

Thanks @CountryGent ! This clears up something the dealer told me when I bought my converted Mini-14 many years ago in pre-Internet days. He mentioned that the conversion, being a near copy of the M14, was more robust that the AC-556, which had a reputation for having issues.

Watching the video, I believe that was likely a reference to assembly/disassembly issues where the selector was in the wrong position or the mating piece was not in the correct position during assembly resulting in bending the sheet metal in that section of the FCG.

In the M14 based conversion it doesn't matter if it's in semi or full auto during assemble/disassembly.

My experience with full auto is that is isn't hard to control, but can see where an M16 would be easier due to the recoil buffer and that recoil force is in a straight line from the barrel to the shoulder.

From watching the video it also looks like the John Ciener 22LR conversion kit might work in the AC556. They could probably tell an AC556 owner if it was compatable with a quick phone call.

EDIT - looks like the kit works with the 22LR conversion.

My only real disappointment in the video was that the AC556 can't switch to full auto without having to drop the mag and drop the hammer.

Last Edited: