JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own the SR556E, I prefer it over lighter AR DI platforms. Its weight isnt noticeable to me, Im used to Aks. I simply upgraded my SR556E with a vltor Stock, BCM charging handle and pistol grip, PWS KAC muzzle device, Leupold Mk AR scope on PEPR mounts. Its great for 100yrds to 600yrds, have not had a problem yet. My only "issue" is with the pinned on rail/handguard system... makes cleaning a pain to do properly, Not necessary.

I'm very happy with my SR-556- heavy quad rail and all.

I recently took it out for the first time to the desert- got hits on a 150 yd. target on irons. Not bad for a 50 year-old guy with bad eyes. Looking forward to seeing what this rifle will do with a good scope- thinking about a Vortex Strike Eagle.

Geno

View attachment 334348
That's the FB model, nice.
How many rds thru it?

I own the SR556E, I prefer it over lighter AR DI platforms. Its weight isnt noticeable to me, Im used to Aks. I simply upgraded my SR556E with a vltor Stock, BCM charging handle and pistol grip, PWS KAC muzzle device, Leupold Mk AR scope on PEPR mounts. Its great for 100yrds to 600yrds, have not had a problem yet. My only "issue" is with the pinned on rail/handguard system... makes cleaning a pain to do properly, Not necessary.

Since it's a piston it runs Damm clean compared to a DI, is that what your saying?

Any pictures / what's your rd count?

Here's my Takedown:

DSC_0088_zpsfoynysut.jpg

With the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24:

Vortex%2013_zpsiaw67any.jpg

With the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50:

Crossfire%2002_zpsb2uncehk.jpg

That's the FB model, nice.
How many rds thru it?

I put about 60-70 rounds thru it on it's first outing- the reason I didn't shoot it more was because I also brought my Sig 716 out, put about 60 rds. through that rifle too. Why so few? It was cold and really windy, gusts over 25 mph. But there's nothing like real-world conditions to test your shooting skills.

Geno

It does! Came in handy when installing the QD front sling mount, the forward angled grip and mounting a cantilevered rail section for the bipod. :)

After checking into this model, I wish it was avaliable when I got my CLA model. ... they are both the lightest in the line up.

But still keeping mine, I've got 4 other DI AR's and may try a piston kit on one of them.

The ruger is on par with my Colt Match Target for accuracy.

Man, you guys are starting to make me regret moving my Ruger on. Maybe if Gov Kate and the anti-gun morons in Salem don't do something stupid that makes AR's harder to obtain here, I'll have to consider getting another one again - maybe a lighter version than the SR-556e - and something without the proprietary rail.

I like the SR556 enough to put the SR762 into contention for my AR10 selection. There are a lot of good ones out there, though. I do like the slimmer handguard profile Ruger provides with this one.

5601.jpg

I like the SR556 enough to put the SR762 into contention for my AR10 selection. There are a lot of good ones out there, though. I do like the slimmer handguard profile Ruger provides with this one.

View attachment 334697

Me too
But it is having an issue with FTF
From following it on the ruger forum they are aware of it .

Multiple owners complaining, and ruger feels it's the Pmags, but when some owner get there guns back the locking lugs have been modified and are running fine afterwards.

Take a hard look on their website .

I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for the heads up!

I think that the issue can be fixed and it doesn't concern me too much. Sure, it's an issue but my experience with Ruger has been pretty good over the years. If there is a problem that is repeatable across one of their lines they are pretty quick to remedy it and they take care of those customers who purchased the model in question.

One thing I noticed with the Ruger AR platform is some ammo fires fine on gas block setting 2, some of the cheaper stuff, or older stuff with a bit of residue on the case, hangs up. Changing the gas setting to 3 usually takes care of the problem. Having a piston AR with an adjustable gas setting can be a blessing.

That's a huge advantage!
I guess that's why I love it like my FAL ...... run it into the ground and when and if it chokes just change the gas setting.

Hummm
Wonder if Sand Cuts like the FAL on an AR bolt would also help it?
LOL

I pulled the BCG out of my SR-556 to lube it before firing it- for some reason, I thought it was a little too loose and would give me issues. No jams, FTF's, no ejection issues- the SR-556 is proving to be a reliable rifle.

Geno

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR