JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Ruger SP101 327 Federal Magnum

• Yay

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I can't seem to make up my mind and the more I read the more I don't know what I want. I am very much leaning to the Ruger SP101 in 327 fed mag. Should I go for it, or should I stick to the 357 mag? The 1 extra round intrigues me. But does it make up for the lesser amount of power? Does the 327 hold it's own as a cougar/bear defensive gun?

357 ammo is cheap and available everywhere, 327 is an expensive odd-ball cartridge few stores stock. SP101s are a handful and have lousy sights, you'll want to practice with it a lot to become proficient. If you're looking for more capacity and stopping power in a handgun that's easier to manage, get a full sized 357. Also, if more reading makes you more indecisive, stop asking for advice.

Price of ammo isn't too much of a concern for me. Ammo can easily be found online and I reload. I'm not looking for a full size revolver. This isn't my first entry into firearms or revolvers for that matter. I'm looking for a somewhat compact revolver. Even possibly getting the LCR. I like oddball cartridges. Which is the main reason why I reload. The 357 is a tried and true cartridge. The 327 looks fun and looks to be able to hold it's own. I'm looking for people with experience with the 327. I've read many articles that contradict each other. I'm looking for some actual experience with the cartridge.

I'd go .357 . It's a proven cartridge that can be found almost anywhere and you can download to 38 special for target shooting.

Just a heads up: I have a SP101 and the factory trigger was awful, one of the worst I've ever experienced. However I purchased a trigger spring and polishing kit from M*Carbo and after an hour of work the gritty awful trigger was smooth as butter.

I'm gonna go with the .327, not due to experience but to the fact you likely won't get the full benefit .357 offers out of a shorter barrel (Paul Harrell seems to corroborate this) and that extra round keeps the little gun a six shooter. I don't know about any small revolver being good bear medicine, so I can't say it'd matter much to me. I would think that if you got a .357, you'd be annoyed you didn't get a .327 because that's what you initially wanted and you said yourself you like oddball cartridges and handload.

I'd go .357 . It's a proven cartridge that can be found almost anywhere and you can download to 38 special for target shooting.

Just a heads up: I have a SP101 and the factory trigger was awful, one of the worst I've ever experienced. However I purchased a trigger spring and polishing kit from M*Carbo and after an hour of work the gritty awful trigger was smooth as butter.

That's really good to know about the trigger. I'll have to see if I can get in somewhere to feel it out with snap caps. Thank you.

Should be fine for cougar. I wouldn't carry it for black bear defense, but I suppose it might work in a pinch. Excellent choice for defense as far as two legged critters go. Seems to be more firearm companies are making guns in .327. Although not as popular as the .357, I don't think it will disappear any time soon. If anything I am betting ammo will become more readily available.

I like treating .32 H&R Mag and .327 Federal Mag as a sort of "modern .32-20".
H&R pushing 115 gr. LSWC @ 900 MV, while the .327 would be more like a ".32-20 magnum", pushing the same bullet (gaschecked) at 1300 mv.
...of course, from 6" barrels. :s0087:
As for the SP101, sure, why not.
I might like to see a comparison to Charter Arms's new Professional revolver, to see how they measure up to each other.
The Professional holds an extra round over the SP, but I believe they are similarly sized revolvers.
For "Kit Gun" use, I'd probably go with the 3" .357 SP, but if it had to be .327 Fed, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Dean

I've got this gun, the one with the 4" barrel. This caliber needs a decent-length barrel just as much as the .357 does.

The extra round is not very important.

The reason to go for this caliber, is because you like the caliber. I like mine although I carry a pistol, so it's not for carry (yet). It's in my stable of revolvers, none of which make a lot of sense if you think about it. But still, gun people keep buying revolvers, who knows why? ;)

The load I like is a hundred grain bullet over 5 gr of Titegroup, although I am still experimenting. Yes it's not a max velocity load, it goes around 1200 fps, which is enough for expansion. Because the .327 has such a high max working pressure, you can make some decent, usable defense loads with faster-than-normal powders. It makes this gun a pussy cat to shoot, with little muzzle blast or recoil (unlike the H110 loads).

I have the Ruger SP 101 in 357. It is a dandy 357 and I would not have any concerns of taking in for hiking nor shooting the most stout 357 loads out of it. I found it to be very accurate. I have the 3" model with combat sights. Highly recommended at this end. Nice to shoot 38s or 357s out of this. I'd pass on the 327.

Hmmmm. Buffalo Bore's 130 grain Keith Hardcast Outdoorsman runs at 1291 fps from a 3-inch SP-101. Thats 481 ft. lbs. Its meant to penetrate deep without expanding so as to penetrate the skull of a black bear. Cougars are lightly built animals that could be killed with anything you carried for self defense against people or black bears. But for bears self defense, you want deep penetration. Yes, I would feel comfortable carrying that load for woods self defense assuming nothing bigger than a black bear. I'd go for the 4.2-inch SP 101 with adjustible sights. 29 oz.

Whether to get that rather than a .357? For me the right answer, between those two calibers, would be the. 357. I dont reload. I like having many loads available from many manufacturers. My creative/exploratory urges with respect to calibers/ammo are limited to figuring out what's best for my purposes from whats available, not on extending the limits. (I put my desire to extend the limits into other things.)

You, however, are clearly lusting over the opportunity to extend the limits, to go where no one has gone before. And how better than with a relatively new caliber? Go for the 327. (You know you wanna...)

I'll bet that SP-101 with the four inch barrel is a tack driver. Way more accurate than any semiauto pistol except huge heavy match guns.

It's in my stable of revolvers, none of which make a lot of sense if you think about it. But still, gun people keep buying revolvers, who knows why? ;)
Gun people keep buying revolvers because we would rather hit what we're aiming at 1 to 6 times than miss 10 to 22 times.

For many of us, a woods gun or edc has to be able to fill multiple functions in addition to close quarters self defense. Garden pest control, defending poultry against predators, or taking small game. (Such as shooting rabbits in the head out to at least 25 yards.) Even taking a deer if it shows up unexpectedly in season while we are hiking or gardening.

Well my curiosity and probably a little stubbornness got the best of me. I ended up ordering the SP101 in .327 federal magnum. I figured if I feel like I need the power of the .357 for a trip I'll borrow my dads.

No longer relevant as you have decided but I would have asked myself what the 327 Federal's trajectory of popularity is and where the 327 Federal will likely be in five years.

As for the issue of not needing the power of a .357 Mag, the ammunition available comes in a range of bullet weights and velocities, as does the 38 Special.

So ... NAY.

That said, post a pic and let us know how she handles. :)

With a name like OldBroad44, I thought you'd be all about that .44 special GP100.
That and a box of Buffalo Bore's and I think anyone'd be set.
Mind reader! I'll admit to having noticed the GP100 in .44 special. It's on my list to handle one at the next gun show I can get to. So far I have only had big long-barreled .44s suitable for hunting. If I can find a .44 that doesnt weigh too much more than my 686 snubby that could take over edc duty I could consolidate completely to .44. Other choices I'm considering are pre-loc versions of 629 Mountain Gun, and 629 Classic 5 inch. If I had the money I would buy all three and play with them all a bit.

My MT husband had a SWEET SP101 in 357Magnum and he carried it as his concealed carry weapon for a LONG time. He carried it as a second gun while he was out in the woods too.

He downsized many of his firearms and a friend of his bought that revolver.

It is a VERY nice gun.

If I was to choose between the 2 calibers that you mentioned - I would choose the 357Magnum. I would be able to use 357Magnum, 38Special Plus P or a sweet 38Special.

I never owned that model but I did try out my MT husband's gun at the range.

I used to BUY my ammunition back east and I bought some out here too. My MT husband reloaded for that gun and all of his guns (Rifles, handguns and former shotguns.) since the early 1970's. He only bought a BIT of factory ammunition on and off.

I no longer own, shoot or carry handguns too. I still shoot a rifle.

Old Lady Cate

I voted for 327fed because my strange propensity for old and odd calibers. If you weren't aware the 327fed is backwards compatible with the entire 32cal lineup.

32 acp (no moon clips!!!)
32 s&w short
32 S&w long
32 H&R mag

This gives you options to use ammo for other guns as well, like the old 32 acp pistols that show up or the old lemon squeezers.

No other revolver has this much crossover with factory ammo and comparability with other cool old guns, add that to the fact you already reload I would say it's a slam dunk

Sp 101 357 in the 4" barrel would have been a sweet idea! The point above about where will the 327 be in 5 years will likely go the same way as the 357 maximum. As I said above I have the 3" 357 in SP 101 and it is a champ. I also have the original SW model 60 in 357 and 3" and it is a jewel. Carried that for years. I go back to the Ruger SP 101 in 357 when I want to carry lite and walk in the woods myself, but not if I take dogs; then I want a much longer barrel able for me to hit a target at 75 paces if they and routinely run a head of me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews