Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger Police Carbine PC9

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by dball152, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dball152

dball152 Independence Active Member

I just picked up this PC9 from a local guy with one mag and 3 boxes of ammo. I never see these around so I just couldnt pass it up. Dont know if I will end up keeping it or if it will go in my trading stock. I will have to take it out and play with it first!

Does anyone have experience with these? How do they shoot? Would it be worth putting an optic or red dot on the gun? What are your thoughts?

P1090596.jpg
    P1090598.jpg
    P1090597.jpg

P1090596.jpg

P1090598.jpg

P1090597.jpg

2. nubus

nubus Guest

Sweet carbine, I always liked it more than the Marlin.
    It's on the list of "Why did I sell that gun again?"
    Let me know if you need some Ruger 15 rounders.
    I also have a one piece rail that fits the Ruger ring dovetails.
    I had a cheap 50mm red dot on mine, worked great.
    It would be a great candidate for suppression!

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Interesting - never seen one of those. Does it take special PC9 mags or Ruger handgun mags (of some type)?

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Wow. I thought I'd seen everything. Never saw one of these. Are they still in production? How about some background?

5. dball152

Yea it takes standard P-series ruger pistol mags. Although I haven’t had much time to do research, my understanding is that they were originally designed as a police weapon. The idea was that an officer would carry a Ruger P-series pistol as a duty pistol, and then have one of these as a carbine in their patrol car. Hence the interchangeable mags and ammo. The story I heard was that they were discontinued a few years back due to low sales. I imagine that the idea never really took off in the law enforcement community.

6. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

These are great guns. Also made in .40 caliber as the PC4. Originally marketed as a police-tool, dealers doomed this gun to fail when they decided that it would never sell, so they didn't stock them.

I've got the PC4 model, and it is unbelievably accurate, at ranges a .40 should never be expected to be used at.

Being a straight blow-back, it is surprising that the action stays remarkably clean. Recoil and report are quite diminished when firing these guns.

Two sight-options were available. Conventional rear sights, and a ghost-ring aperture. Mine has the latter and they work great on a gun like this. But there's no reason optics of any kind, including red-dots wouldn't be quite at home on this gun.

Either in 9mm or .40, they're the cheapest center-fire rifles to shoot.:cool:

WAYNO.

7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

A friend of mine picked one up at a pawn shop a couple of years ago. I always thought I wanted one until I held/shot it. Standard Ruger quality and shoots ok but a little on the 'clunky' side. Kind of why I do not own a Mini-14. I wound up getting a Sub 2000 as the nine carbine I wanted and it works well as my quad pack gun. I think the PC9 will become a nice collector's item as the Marlin Camp 9 has and the selling prices reflect that.

8. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that is the most horrible weapon ever made!!! Let me know how much you want so I can rid you of that HORRIBLE thing!!! haha
    Mike

9. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Per Ruger's Website:

Ruger PC9 Carbine - 9mm (manufactured from 1996 to 2006) (Out of Production)
    Ruger PC4 Carbine - .40 Caliber (manufactured from 1996 to 2006) (Out of Production)

10. dball152

Checked the Ruger's website, and it looks like the mine was built in 1997, based on the serial number.

11. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

We especially appreicate that you posted a pic with serial number!

12. dball152

Nubus, i tried to PM you but your inbox is too full...