JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
UGH! so I got the duffel bag full of old Guns from Mom. Among others was a 1954 Ruger MKI. A lil rust on the outside but I found a like new bore after I cleaned out the cobwebs. I doubt there has been more than 50 rounds put through it. Missing Bolt, Mainspring housing, a grip panel and Mags. So to brownells.com I go. A week later I get the goods, fight for about 2 hours total to assemble it. everything is dry as a bone so I had to fight extra. Finally get it fit and now safety does not work. Pull it back apart, play with just Bolt in upper, just MS housing in lower and all parts separate. SO at the end of the day I found out that the MKI, II, III bolts are NOT interchangeable (If you want a safety) BUT it seems as though I could file down the top of the safety as it has nothing to do with the trigger locking part of the safety. Option 2 is return the bolt and hope to find a MKI bolt in good shape I looked for 2 weeks and found MKII,III bolts new BUT no MKIs. Any advice out there? I am scared to even test fire it as then it would be very hard to convince brownells to take it back. Probably the BEST answer return the bolt and try to get a MKI bolt. BUT I am impatient. LOL
Thanks

I've never used Ruger customer service. But I have read several accounts of people calling them and sending thier pistol in for repair. Ruger seems to be very good at charging minimal amount and restoring the gun to near original condition for no extra charge, including reblueing.

I think it is definitely worth giving Ruger a chance to make it good again.

Couldn't wait. Did the test fire, cycled great no problems whatsoever (5 rounds only) so I will file the top of the safety so it will not hit the bolt. What the heck, it is a $3 piece if I screw it up I will go to brownells again. Then go back to square 2 and look for a MKI Bolt.
I will check into the restoration bit later after taxes thanks for the tips. There was no pitting so after I green scratchy padded it (rust and bluing:eek:) it looks pretty darn good all smooth.

FYI if anyone cares to know. The MKI is running fine. Put a few hundred rounds through it so far and NO problems. Have not bothered to fix the Safety issue yet one day I will get to it:s0129: LOL

Congratz, I have an old Ruger Standard (Pre MK I) and I am having minor issues with the safety also. In my case I think it is just worn. May just send it to Ruger for a Major Overhaul ... :)

I gotta tell ya, I'd NEVER file down the safety to make something fit. If you EVER have an ND and there's a related injury, you could be in deep squat.

Just saying.

On the plus side, I have NEVER seen a Ruger .22 pistol that did not shoot like a high-priced target pistol. Mine can hit a small juice can at 25 yards all day long. I plan to clobber some bunnies with it this fall. Great little handguns!

I got a ruger MK2 goberment that didnt have the bolt properly machined inside the slot

it was ther first EVER issue of its kind and they took special care and did a MAJOR write up

got a free trigger job for the hassle jsut had to pay for new extractor and spring and they replaced the bolt and tuned it in properly

my friend was a tunnel rat when he was in a hot SE aisian place and carried it on duty next to his flashlight tell me never take it apart jsut shoot a can of WD40 through it and call it clean?.... what some people do in a combat theater sigh

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top