JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an SR-22 purchased in 2013. It has at most 500 rounds of mostly lead through it and the rifling are almost gone!

Has anyone heard of soft barrels from Ruger?

3E6A2A1D-D9CD-4CD2-B8BC-12F83FB9C50A_zpsezzmoxru.jpg

5EA30B18-5B22-4B65-B70B-452E9A17E053_zpswsmm4erk.jpg

The SR22 is notorious for leading. Scrub the barrel, using lots of Hoppes, and I'll bet your rifling is 100% intact.

The rifling is shallow on the SR22's. Unless the bore has been overzealously cleaned, steel always wins over lead.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I don't have one of those Rugers but 500 rounds will not wear out a .22 barrel, nor will 500,000. It doesn't take much rifling depth to spin a .22lr bullet.

I think it was famous gunsmith PO Ackley that ran 100.000's of thousands of rounds thru his only .22 rifle, I can recall the make or model. But he only cleaned the action! Never ran a patch or a brush thru it!

I need to look thru my Ackley books and find the story!

But in this case, I have ran across some very soft lead, that will lead up your bbl in no time!
My customer was using .22 that was an import I had not heard of before...It was so soft you could pick the bollit apart with your fingernail with ease...

I have worn out myself and several bronze brushes trying to
get the lead out of a barrel. I found an easier way. Bronze wool,
like steel wool but made of bronze. Rap it around a worn out
bronze brush. Removes lead easy. Will not harm your barrel.
I have also used the Lewis lead remover. Works great. I don't
think it comes in 22 size.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...ead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Your pictures don't really look like there's leading but they are small and not perfect pictures. Perhaps you are hoping/thinking that there is leading and by "cleaning", the rifling will be deeper.
Is the gun accurate? anyway
As to the copper/brass/bronze "wool"/kitchen scouring scrubber, "Chore Boy" is what ron is talking about (can get them about anywhere and they work great) but make sure it's not a knock-off or unacceptable even if of brand name by checking it with a magnet to make sure it's not just steel shavings coated a bright shiny gold color.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top