JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I talked my wife out of getting me an xbox for Christmas this year (we never really try to surprise each other with gifts, as we're not "surprise" people, so I knew this was what she wanted to do) - I actually tried getting her to buy herself a new carry gun, but she insisted I get something "nice" for this Christmas because last year was leaner. So instead of the xBox I talked her into something gun related, it came down to either a 5.56mm upper for my .300 blk gun - or a complete gun altogether. I've been eyeing up the American guns in both center and rimfire versions, and after some thought I decided on the .22LR compact. Ammo availability aside - .22LR is still cheaper than .22 Magnum, and I couldn't find any .22 magnum (which is what I was originally thinking) on shelves today but Sportsman's has LR on the shelf. And the fact that the Long Rifle version takes 10-22 mags sealed the decision. I'm going to get the basic plain jane synthetic stock / blued barrel & action version. Bi Mart is running a sale for $247.00 - Sportman's Warehouse is $279 for the identical gun.

I like the fact that these guns have decent, usable iron sights (front is actually a green fiber optic, rear is the same on some 10-22's) from the factory and you don't need a scope to use the rifle. I think this will be a decent rifle to start teaching my boy on in a couple years, since the stock is modular. Get a short LOP insert and the gun would be a fine youth rifle.

Gotta find some LR ammo now. Might have to trade a kidney for a brick of Golden Bullets o_O

I talked my wife out of getting me an xbox for Christmas this year (we never really try to surprise each other with gifts, as we're not "surprise" people, so I knew this was what she wanted to do) - I actually tried getting her to buy herself a new carry gun, but she insisted I get something "nice" for this Christmas because last year was leaner. So instead of the xBox I talked her into something gun related, it came down to either a 5.56mm upper for my .300 blk gun - or a complete gun altogether. I've been eyeing up the American guns in both center and rimfire versions, and after some thought I decided on the .22LR compact. Ammo availability aside - .22LR is still cheaper than .22 Magnum, and I couldn't find any .22 magnum (which is what I was originally thinking) on shelves today but Sportsman's has LR on the shelf. And the fact that the Long Rifle version takes 10-22 mags sealed the decision. I'm going to get the basic plain jane synthetic stock / blued barrel & action version. Bi Mart is running a sale for $247.00 - Sportman's Warehouse is $279 for the identical gun.

I like the fact that these guns have decent, usable iron sights (front is actually a green fiber optic, rear is the same on some 10-22's) from the factory and you don't need a scope to use the rifle. I think this will be a decent rifle to start teaching my boy on in a couple years, since the stock is modular. Get a short LOP insert and the gun would be a fine youth rifle.

Gotta find some LR ammo now. Might have to trade a kidney for a brick of Golden Bullets o_O

I'd consider .22wmr to be a hunting round and not really a target round for plinking so I think you picked well.

I'd go with a Henry lever action or a bolt action if your going to just the gun for teaching a child.

Simi-autos tend to burn thru ammo and they do not tend to take the same care with shot placement - but that's just been my experience.

P.S. My lever action .22lr is not my nicest gun but it its hands down one of the funnest to take plinking.

Edit: if you still can't find any ammo to feed it, I'd help you out with a brick or two - just pm me.

Bi Marts have some Federal 22lr , just have to keep checking. I got the American with the long barrel last year. Very nice action and a pretty good trigger. It has a fiber optic front sight from the factory . Put a Boyd stock on it and that did ad a lb or so to the weight but feels good and solid. These would be great for a kid to learn on, but I'm no kid and I REALLY like it.

IMG_0244_zpsujdgk3yu.jpg

Bi Marts have some Federal 22lr , just have to keep checking. I got the American with the long barrel last year. Very nice action and a pretty good trigger. It has a fiber optic front sight from the factory . Put a Boyd stock on it and that did ad a lb or so to the weight but feels good and solid. These would be great for a kid to learn on, but I'm no kid and I REALLY like it.

I'm liking that Boyd's stock - I may have to put that on my wish list.

The Ruger American Rimfire are great rifles. I've owned both .22LR and .22WMR, both great choices, very accurate, easy to shoot and the included sights are really effective. You made a good choice.

I shot one, one time and was on paper.
I have a 10/22.
What took a bit was getting used to the bolt throw - something achieved with practice.

They are a nice gun, and if you want to teach someone rifle marksmanship, it is an excellent choice.

I can always find 22LR
http://www.gunbot.net/
Just be sure to include delivery when comparing prices.
AND watch for too low prices, they do list primer only loads.

I've got the .22 mag carbine great gun I put a Burris timberland scope on it and tuned the trigger it shoots very well and I've been able to get .22 mag ammo.

Which scope is that? VX-1? That's a sexy rifle.

Picked up the rifle this morning - they even had some Federal 325 rnd boxes so I grabbed one of those too. Now to decide stuck with irons or scope it. Probably put a scope on eventually but who knows.

I wound up with the 22" gun - thats all they had.

Thanks. Yep the vx1 3x9. Great inexpensive scope for just about anything.

I have the same one on my '06. Which rings did you use on yours? Been a long time since I had a scoped .22 - and it was a cheapo tasco w cheap tasco rings that left me underwhelmed. The remington uses a set of Warnes that I am happy with.

Not sure what brand these rings are. I usually use the Burris Z rings but I notice these have the windage adjust and I don't have the package any more. There steel like the z's but may be some other brand.

These are great little bolt action rifles! Very well made and accurate!!
All steel, no plastic bits to break..

And with decent ammo they are very accurate:)

I've threaded the barrel of a few of them now and they make a great host for a suppressor!

I'm late to this party, but I do have an American .22LR in the compact version. I'm really quite pleased with the accuracy. In fact, it will outshoot any 10/22 I've ever owned, including the two 10/22 Target models I've owned. I bought the extended stock-piece, but never installed it. I've found the shorter compact stock is quite handy, and never too-short.

WAYNO.

I noticef yestetday that Sportsmans has the 10-22 collector edition on sale for $219 right now - its a 10-22 set into an American style stock. If I had the spare coin I would grab one (pic in ad showed foilage green stock w blued hardware - nice look) but my wife probably does not want a rifle for xmas.

After christmas shopping is wrapped up I gotta snag a bx25 mag or two just for giggles.

These are great little bolt action rifles! Very well made and accurate!!
All steel, no plastic bits to break..

And with decent ammo they are very accurate:)

I've threaded the barrel of a few of them now and they make a great host for a suppressor!
Totally agree. They do make a great suppressor host. That's why I bought the threaded barrel version.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top