JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Friend has the Ruger you speak of and my Savage outshoots it consistently.

Have you and your friend shot each other's rifles? If so, how did that work out?
The reason I ask is this. I can shoot a rifle better than most of my friends.
If you haven't tried his rifle and vice versa, it's a moot point.
I'm not looking to stir the pot. Just want apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

I have the Ruger target 17 HMR and had a Savage thumbhole stock 17 HMR. The Savage would always group better, but it was rather a clunky unrefined rifle, as most Savages are. The Ruger is a much more refined rifle, and for shooting sage rats out to about 150 yards it pretty much always connects. The nine shot rotary magazine of the Ruger is a bonus.

No experience with the American version of the Ruger, but I'm pretty sure you would be happy with it based on previous reviews of it. I'm down to my last Savage rifle and I won't buy any more. Be sure to take a look at the Marlin and CZ 17 HMR rifles.

Seriously… your going to compare a 700 dollar Ruger 77 target or a CZ to a Ruger American?
Thats apples to apples right there…
Ya we did compare same shooters with rifles and the savage out shot the American.
Of course that is just two rifles, but do some research on the Ruger American and you will find more negative reviews than positive.
Again my .02.

The Ruger American rimfires are good shooters, I have one in 22LR and a couple of buddies have them in 17 HMR and they all are MOA cabable.

If you are planning on threading the barrel for a suppressor, get one factory threaded if they make one in 17 HMR. Since these rifles have press fit barrels, you can't remove the barrel for threading... FYI.

I have the Ruger target 17 HMR and had a Savage thumbhole stock 17 HMR. The Savage would always group better, but it was rather a clunky unrefined rifle, as most Savages are. The Ruger is a much more refined rifle, and for shooting sage rats out to about 150 yards it pretty much always connects. The nine shot rotary magazine of the Ruger is a bonus.

You are living in the dark ages. Savage has been making 10 round mags for their 17 HMR rifles for quite a few years now. Savage owners are no longer limited to 5 round mags.

1781810_01_savage_17_hmr_magazines_10_rou_640.jpg

I have a RAR in .308 and I can shoot sub MOA groups with it. Posted photos a couple years back to prove it, even gained the respect of our own "Spitpatch" who haunts these forums. o_O

That is nothing. I've twice killed small flies at 100 yards with my Savage 93.

Here is a photo of the last one. You can see the impact point where the 17 gr VMAX hit the fly and its insides splattered out. Some gooey remains of what was left of the fly landed on the target and stuck to it a couple inches directly above the impact point, as you can see in this photo.

You can also see a shot that I took aiming dead center at the target, before the fly showed up and started crawling over my target.

fly100.jpg

I should admit that the day I made this shot the air was completely still. Not even the slightest breath of wind. Plus I was shooting with standbags, and had my scope cranked all the way up to 16x.

Last Edited:
Yeah, kind of leaning towards the Savage since it is ready to go with trigger, scope base, proper threading, and extended bolt handle.

While they are indeed awesome guns right out of the box, if you ever do get bored with the rifle being too ordinary, there are things that can be done to trick the Savage out and customize it some.

My 93 no longer looks like it did when I first bought it. Here is my fly killer after upgrading.

sightron'newstock0.jpg

Whatever you do, do be sure to put a quality scope on it, if you want to take full advantage of its accuracy.

I am aware they make in line 10 shot mags, so you are aware of how far they stick out the bottom of the stock. Notice I said rotary, which means the mag fits flush with the bottom of the stock so they don't snag on stuff or look like crap.

Sorry to hear you think a Savage is awesome right out of the box. They can shoot okay, but even my $1000 LRPV was a clunky gun. After you handle a high quality rifle you will learn exactly where the Savage falls in the pecking order of rifles.

I am aware they make in line 10 shot mags, so you are aware of how far they stick out the bottom of the stock. Notice I said rotary, which means the mag fits flush with the bottom of the stock so they don't snag on stuff or look like crap.

Sorry to hear you think a Savage is awesome right out of the box. They can shoot okay, but even my $1000 LRPV was a clunky gun. After you handle a high quality rifle you will learn exactly where the Savage falls in the pecking order of rifles.

You seem to be more obsessed with how a rifle looks or feels, rather than how well they shoot. I've owned a number of far more expensive rimfire rifles, yet my Savage has easily out shot all of them.

Before I got my Savage, I used to shoot a Ruger 77/22 in 22 magnum It was a big heavy rimfire with a laminate stock and grey finished stainless steel. It had quite a heavy 24 inch barrel too. Despite being 3 times the cost of my Savage, it shot like bubblegum. Terrible groups. Fortunately we have a real talented gunsmith in Eugene by the name of Michael Hill, who is a wizard at doing bedding jobs on rimfire rifles. After he did a bedding job on the rifle using some custom pillars he made, and the group size shrunk 60%.

I hunted with it for a few years. But after I got my Savage 93, I stopped using it, so I ended up giving the rifle to a relative. The 17 HMR shot flatter and was thus easier to connect with small varmints in the field. And right out of the box the Savage could easily outshoot my Ruger with its custom bedding job.

Sorry dude, but I own the most awesome rimfire hunting rifle in all of Oregon. I later had Michael Hill do some work on it mainly for appearance sake, installing a handsome custom stock. I will put the accuracy of my Savage up against anyone else's 17 HMR rifle, bar none.

No doubt your rifle cannot even begin to compare with mine.

Savage93.jpg

Last Edited:
You seem to be more obsessed with how a rifle looks or feels, rather than how well they shoot. I've owned a number of far more expensive rimfire rifles, yet my Savage has easily out shot all of them.

Before I got my Savage, I used to shoot a Ruger 77/22 in 22 magnum It was a big heavy rimfire with a laminate stock and grey finished stainless steel. It had quite a heavy 24 inch barrel too. Despite being 3 times the cost of my Savage, it shot like bubblegum. Terrible groups. Fortunately we have a real talented gunsmith in Eugene by the name of Michael Hill, who is a wizard at doing bedding jobs on rimfire rifles. After he did a bedding job on the rifle using some custom pillars he made, and the group size shrunk 60%.

I hunted with it for a few years. But after I got my Savage 93, I stopped using it, so I ended up giving the rifle to a relative. The 17 HMR shot flatter and was thus easier to connect with small varmints in the field. And right out of the box the Savage could easily outshoot my Ruger with its custom bedding job.

Sorry dude, but I own the most awesome rimfire hunting rifle in all of Oregon. I later had Michael Hill do some work on it mainly for appearance sake, installing a handsome custom stock. I will put the accuracy of my Savage up against anyone else's 17 HMR rifle, bar none.

No doubt your rifle cannot even begin to compare with mine.

View attachment 237905
But how can you shoot it without that hideously protruding magazine catching on brush?

Just kidding!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top