Ruger 1022 reciever finish...

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Koda, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I removed an old optic mount and was disappointed to learn the blue loctite I used removed the paint on the receiver in spots surrounding the mounting holes.

Now I have 2 questions...
    1) does anyone have any do it yourself ideas on stripping the paint entirely and refinishing the receiver? I’m not opposed to a clear aluminium look similar to stainless. If this is possible, how does one prevent the bare aluminium from oxidizing?

2) are there any local Portland area (preferably west-side) shops that do affordable 1022 receiver finishing, such are cerokote or anodize?

2. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Northwest firearms has some nice pics of their cerakote work. I'm considering having a couple guns painted when I have some funds.

3. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Silver Supporter

Koda likes this.
  4. orygun

orygun
    West Linn
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Uhh, got a Sharpie? Small areas can be touched up and are hard to tell. Try it. Don't like it, try something else, but "something else" will be a lot more expensive than a Sharpie.
    I once had a gorgeous Browning B78 that had a mark on the barrel. It would have been very expensive to refinish and would have actually killed the value of the gun. So, I touched it up with a Sharpie. I never had to do it again, and when I sold the gun I had to point the place out to the buyer cuz he couldn't find it.

etrain16 and IronMonster like this.
  5. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Opinionated Member Bronze Vendor Lifetime Supporter

Yep, I have done lots of sharpie touch up. It often looks like of crappy at first but in a few weeks once its kind of set its surprising how good it looks.

6. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

This is much more than a mark on the barrel. The paint was eroded in several spots around each screw hole and one is large enough a sharpie edit would still stand out... I'll give it a try though its not a bad idea but Id still like to explore other options.

Joe13, when I google Northwest Firearms all I get is this forum site..

308, I like the idea I will look into it. I like DIY projects and figure if that works it might be cheaper than paying for anodizing or creokete...

7. the4thshake

the4thshake
    Portland

Gun Kote works very well. I have used it successfully on several projects. It sticks real well to an abrasive blasted surface. However, after blasting a 10/22 I decided that I really liked the look of just the blasted surface and that's the way it has stayed.

Koda likes this.
  8. orygun

orygun
    West Linn
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think Joe13 meant Northwest Armory. Easy to make that mistake.

9. Portaledgepete

Portaledgepete
    Portland, Oregon

I refinished my 10/22. I fully disassembled it and scrubbed every surface with 0000 steel wool to ruff up the bonding surface. I then hit it with brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces. Then I hit it with an aerosol can of Dura-Kote. It was a cheap way to protect my old rifle's metal and was fairly entertaining to do.

image.jpg

10. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Opinionated Member Bronze Vendor Lifetime Supporter

That is one happy 10/22 model :) she is a cutie. I hope she gets to shoot it.

muskoka and Portaledgepete like this.