JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I removed an old optic mount and was disappointed to learn the blue loctite I used removed the paint on the receiver in spots surrounding the mounting holes.

Now I have 2 questions...
1) does anyone have any do it yourself ideas on stripping the paint entirely and refinishing the receiver? I'm not opposed to a clear aluminium look similar to stainless. If this is possible, how does one prevent the bare aluminium from oxidizing?

2) are there any local Portland area (preferably west-side) shops that do affordable 1022 receiver finishing, such are cerokote or anodize?

Uhh, got a Sharpie? Small areas can be touched up and are hard to tell. Try it. Don't like it, try something else, but "something else" will be a lot more expensive than a Sharpie.
I once had a gorgeous Browning B78 that had a mark on the barrel. It would have been very expensive to refinish and would have actually killed the value of the gun. So, I touched it up with a Sharpie. I never had to do it again, and when I sold the gun I had to point the place out to the buyer cuz he couldn't find it.

Yep, I have done lots of sharpie touch up. It often looks like of crappy at first but in a few weeks once its kind of set its surprising how good it looks.

This is much more than a mark on the barrel. The paint was eroded in several spots around each screw hole and one is large enough a sharpie edit would still stand out... I'll give it a try though its not a bad idea but Id still like to explore other options.

Joe13, when I google Northwest Firearms all I get is this forum site..

308, I like the idea I will look into it. I like DIY projects and figure if that works it might be cheaper than paying for anodizing or creokete...

Gun Kote works very well. I have used it successfully on several projects. It sticks real well to an abrasive blasted surface. However, after blasting a 10/22 I decided that I really liked the look of just the blasted surface and that's the way it has stayed.

I refinished my 10/22. I fully disassembled it and scrubbed every surface with 0000 steel wool to ruff up the bonding surface. I then hit it with brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces. Then I hit it with an aerosol can of Dura-Kote. It was a cheap way to protect my old rifle's metal and was fairly entertaining to do.

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR