JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeing as I usually just end up shooting .454 casull, thought about getting a lever action in .454.

As it turns out only Rossi and big horn armory makes a lever action in .454 casull. I'm sure BHA is fine but not wanting to spend $5k the Rossi looks like a better bang for my buck. Would it be able to handle a steady diet of the hotter loads?

It ought to be fine, for a while. I've seen slow motion video of lever actions being fired, they flex a bit. It's just the nature of the design. Over the long term with hot loads I would think headspace issues would occur.

The last Rossi 92 copy I shot was in .44 Magnum...it shot well with either .44 Magnum and .44 Special.
Quality wise it was a well built copy...while not mine...the owner did have me go over the internal parts and smooth it up a bit.
Exterior fit and finish were nice however.
It seemed like a robust firearm and fairly accurate copy of a Winchester Model 92 Carbine.
The above was an older Rossi without the safety.

With all that said...
The dumb azz safety on the new Rossi's would be a no go for me...
But I ain't buying one...so hopefully the safety ain't as big of a deal for the OP as it is for me.
Andy

I would say that if it's built for a given cartridge, it should be able to handle a steady diet of SAAMI spec loads, whatever those happen to be. Because it's a rifle, it probably has a whole bunch more meat where it matters than a revolver would and those seem to be ok. Just my .02

I have my reloading manual right here and I am too lazy to check the pressure of a 454 compared to a 44. :confused:
Maximum pressure (SAAMI)65,000 psi (450 MPa)
Maximum CUP50,000[1] CUP

Compare these figures with the other chambering the 92 is available in. A call or email to Rossi USA will probably answer your questions. Am guessing that steel alloy or heat treatment is different in the 454 version.

Last Edited:
Well, suppose I oughta give one a try then.

But I ain't buying one...so hopefully the safety ain't as big of a deal for the OP as it is for me.
I mean, I don't LIKE it. But there's not many options for .454, that don't also cost $5k for a base model. It can't be as bad as a Hillary hole can it?

Seeing as I usually just end up shooting .454 casull, thought about getting a lever action in .454.

As it turns out only Rossi and big horn armory makes a lever action in .454 casull. I'm sure BHA is fine but not wanting to spend $5k the Rossi looks like a better bang for my buck. Would it be able to handle a steady diet of the hotter loads?
I own 2 BHA lever guns. One in .460 S&W and one in .500 S&W Magnum (One I got for way lower than retail) The other was before the price hikes. Recoil on it is far milder than you might expect. And I kinda want the Rossi too

Another option, T/C Encore with the .460 or a custom .454 barrel. Mostly I shoot single shots these days when I am not using NFA items.

Last Edited:
There is a way to remove the safety lever, I just ignored mine. My carbine shot good and functioned as it should with every thing but 44 special 200 gr full wadcutters. My issue was with the straight stock and hard butt plate. I have to get the rifle up on my collar bone to see the sights and shooting 300 gr bullets while wearing a tee shirt just plain hurt and left a bruise. It's not just this rifle that does that to me it's all straight stocked iron sighted rifles like 6.5 Sweade and 30-30's.

I have a stainless LSI Puma 16" model 92 in .454 Casull and it's a hoot to shoot. If it comes with a fiber optic sight, be sure to keep an eye on it. Mine came off.

Pum68016.jpg

There is a way to remove the safety lever, I just ignored mine. My carbine shot good and functioned as it should with every thing but 44 special 200 gr full wadcutters. My issue was with the straight stock and hard butt plate. I have to get the rifle up on my collar bone to see the sights and shooting 300 gr bullets while wearing a tee shirt just plain hurt and left a bruise. It's not just this rifle that does that to me it's all straight stocked iron sighted rifles like 6.5 Sweade and 30-30's.
:D just in the spirit of good humor now....you wussy.:s0140::s0140:

I don't like guns that hurt at both ends so I guess I am a wussy too.:confused:

I would say that if it's built for a given cartridge, it should be able to handle a steady diet of SAAMI spec loads, whatever those happen to be. Because it's a rifle, it probably has a whole bunch more meat where it matters than a revolver would and those seem to be ok. Just my .02
I mean, someone tried it in older lever actions and the receivers would become unusable. Granted the 94 is not the best action for it, they would stretch.

Well, suppose I oughta give one a try then.

I mean, I don't LIKE it. But there's not many options for .454, that don't also cost $5k for a base model. It can't be as bad as a Hillary hole can it?
Nope....not too many options out there for sure...sad to say.

As for the safety...it is useless and unneeded...use the half cock notch as a safety...like the original design.
So yeah...it is as bad as a Hillary Hole.
Andy

The last Rossi 92 copy I shot was in .44 Magnum...it shot well with either .44 Magnum and .44 Special.
Quality wise it was a well built copy...while not mine...the owner did have me go over the internal parts and smooth it up a bit.
Exterior fit and finish were nice however.
It seemed like a robust firearm and fairly accurate copy of a Winchester Model 92 Carbine.
The above was an older Rossi without the safety.

With all that said...
Andy Most Rossis Ive seen lately, the owner flips the safety off then disables or removes the safety.

@JM Browning
I understand that one can disable or remove the safety....

That ain't the point...
The safety is unneeded and ugly.
Andy
There's this...
...That I thought about getting for Wifey's Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. Apparently a possible issue with the fitment in the hole where the safety was, so check it out first.

And for the @Longwalkhome , I wear a putthy pad when when I shoot a Swede and Garand.

I have a .45 Colt Rossi SS carbine. I shoot it a bunch and find my 250gr. handloads to be awesome! Tree spliters and rock busters, all I can ask for. Pre-safety and I did my own smoothing of the action. Very accurate out to 100 yds.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top