JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well after saving up and selling a few things i never use anymore. i was able to save up for a rock island 1911 and i must say im very impressed.

2010-03-26190016.jpg

2010-03-26183930.jpg

A gunsmith of mine tells me he can make those shoot pretty good without dumping allot of money into them..I can turn you onto a gun that will do that for you...

how much did you pay for yours and where you got it? i'm looking to get one right now. There is Springfield 1911 G.I. for $475+tax+shipping and there is Rock island for $499 total.

The Rock Islands are really good guns for the money. I bought a tactical a little while back, and have been nothing but pleased with it. You don't need to turn them into nice shooting guns... they already are nice shooting guns.

Also, if you need to replace something on it, and don't feel like shipping it off, they more or less take GI parts too. Always a plus in my book. Hard to go wrong that way.

I'm very happy with mine, a 1911-A2 (hi-cap) that I picked up for $465.

There's a guy on GB who sells the GI model regularly for $380 shipped, and the Tactical model (beavertail, ambi, etc) for $450 or so. I have no connection with him, but he's been selling them for months.

You really can't beat them for the money. I've owned 1911s from Colt, Para, and Dan Wesson, and the RI may not be the prettiest thing out there, but as a functional 1911 you're not going to find anything better.

Springfield's low end models (GI, Mil-Spec, etc) all use cast frames made in South America, likely from the same factory that produces them for Taurus. The Armscor/RIAs come out of the Philippines.

My hi-cap accepts Para P14 mags and grips. The single stack versions are standard 1911s that'll accept standard parts.

-- Sam

I got one of these last year at the pdx gun show,, first 1911 i ever shot or owned, am very happy with mine, its my favorite carry gun now. mine has never stove piped or had any problem, and is fairely accurate.love it.:s0155:

Am I better off buying a RIA 1911 Tactical for $449 new or a Taurus AR1911 for $579? I know the Taurus has a ton of upgraded stuff on it from the factory. I have owned one of the Taurus's before and like it alot but thinking of trying to save some $$ this time.

Am I better off buying a RIA 1911 Tactical for $449 new or a Taurus AR1911 for $579? I know the Taurus has a ton of upgraded stuff on it from the factory. I have owned one of the Taurus's before and like it alot but thinking of trying to save some $$ this time.

i have never been one to own a taurus after seeing many of my friends go through too much trouble with a lot of their hand guns. most of then ended up selling them and getting something else.
but after putting about 100 round through mine last week, im in love with this pistol. it did not malfunction one time and my first shot was a bulls eye :) .
i would go with a RIA if possible. cause with the extra money you save you can upgrade some parts and make this pistol shine ;)

Beavernation,buy that Rock Island Tactical, you won't be sorry. The Rock Islands are excellent buys.They are basically Series 70 Colts, thier warranty is superb you can't go wrong,and Series 70 Colts are considered the best. I own two Colt's, a Combat Commander and a Gold Cup, and a Rock Island Tactical, if that tells you anything. Spad

Beavernation,buy that Rock Island Tactical, you won't be sorry. The Rock Islands are excellent buys.They are basically Series 70 Colts, thier warranty is superb you can't go wrong,and Series 70 Colts are considered the best. I own two Colt's, a Combat Commander and a Gold Cup, and a Rock Island Tactical, if that tells you anything. Spad

Well, while I like the RIAs a lot myself, and would heartily recommend them to Beavernation, I have to say that as much as I like them, they're not a Colt.

It is truthful to say that they are a clone of a "series 70" Colt, in that they have that style safety, or rather, lack the series 80 firing pin block. But they are made on cast frames and have extruded slides. Colts are made from forged steel. The only MIM on Colts are in the fire control group. The RIA is full of MIM, and that's OK; That, and Filipino labor, are how they keep their prices low. (This is a direct quote from the president of Armscor, the makers of RIA.)

I bought my RIA as an inexpensive alternative to a higher priced gun, knowing full well what I was getting. For what it is, it's a very nice gun. I don't think you can get a better 1911 for under $600. I think my hi-cap blows away the meager competition in that area: I'd rather have my $465 RIA than the $800+ Para I was looking at, with the plastic trigger.

But that said, it is not made with the same quality of parts or attention to detail as my DW CBOB, nor as well as the Colt Combat Commander (actually made in the 70s...) that I used to own.

I agree they're great guns, but there are reasons there are $500 guns, $800 guns, and $1000+ guns, etc.

-- Sam

Nothing wrong with cast frames if they are done right, and Armscor/Rock Island does them right. They make frames and parts for other name pistols. Lot of other major arms makers use castframes now, technology has caught up with the forged frame thing, wouldn't worry about it. Armscor/Rock Island makes an Officer size 1911 pistol and a Compact 1911. Spad

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews