JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not a double standard; it's different people. I expect the gun snobs (at least most of them) haven't contributed to this thread, because they do look down their noses at "cheap junk". I've seen PLENTY of comments on the wider forum about how if it's not a Colt or Kimber it's just not worth considering. I've also seen threads with page after page of people extolling the virtues of Hi-Points. I don't participate because that's not my thing, but I don't look down my nose at them (well, maybe a little...)

To me it seems silly to overbuy for a given purpose. For example, my FIL wanted a new camera. He did his research, found the "best one", and bought a $2500 camera. What does he use it for? Snapshots. For his purposes he wasted a lot of money. He wanted it and could afford it, so whatever. If you're a professional photographer, buy the best. If you're taking snapshots, it seems like a waste.

I have a Colt 1911 and nice S&W revolvers. I fully realize that my inexpensive ATI 1911 is not "first tier". I bought it as an inexpensive gun to enjoy at the range. I have been surprised and impressed by the accuracy, reliability, and quality. Believe me, it's not a Llama! They have a history of making decent 1911s in the Philippines. I would dare to say that it's probably an overall better gun than the millions of GI 1911's our servicemen carried in WWII, due to modern manufacturing. It's not a Colt or Kimber but for my purposes it is just as good.

If I was going to carry a 1911 for serious purposes, I'd have spent more money on something else, but I really wouldn't feel under gunned with this one either, having put it through its paces already.

Gun snobs look down their noses at me already, though. I don't have a high-dollar AR (I'm not an "operator", so entry level is fine with me). My Glock is a bone-stock gen2, works fine for me. I guess I'll never be part of any exclusive club. I do like nice S&W revolvers, though, so maybe that counts for something.

Well I have mostly cheap....err inexpensive everything. I have modded some Springfield's plastic handguns which have increased their cost. I have tried a lot of AR triggers. I have a bunch of revolvers including Taurus 357's that I like, I like my Ruger 357's better. I do have two Performance Center J-frames and one plain jane 629 and I have Colt 22 and 38 revolvers. I like the one I am shooting the most. I tend to shoot the cheaper AR's more than the most expensive of those I own. Just saving my 'Good Stuff' I guess.
1911's I only have two now, my high dollar Para went to my son. I have a government Ruger. I like it's fit finish and function, it's my best of two, but I love my RIA GI Officers Model, I might prefer , if I had one, a RIA 'Rock' Officer's Model or Ruger's new Officers Model, but I don't know that for a fact as I don't own either one.
I would not mind a 9 MM 1911, but for my wife, not me. I would like a Springfield EMP 40 Concealed Carry Contour for me. Not likely to buy it though.
I am through right now with buying, I'll keep my cheapies.

Last Edited:
I put on my wichaka hat for this one.

I normally stay out of 1911 threads such as this, or any other where people are wanting such opinions...but got a few PM's to chime in.

I know what they say about opinions, but mine are based on actual builds, use, and reliability work.

1. First and foremost...What is the 1911 going to be used for? Casual shooting, competition, or CCW? Then buy and equip as needed.

2. Realize that at this price point, corners are cut somewhere to keep the cost down to make it look like the upper end schtuff.

3. Reliability is King with a 1911. I have made more money on so called "High End" production models, in fixing what they factory put out.

4. The term "Needs to have a break in period." is garbage.

Is a term the factory uses that really means...we really don't do our job as well as we used to, so in cutting costs, we hired assemblers with a box of parts in front of them. If one part doesn't fit, they are free to choose another until one does, then they pass it down the line. Then we hope you'll buy into the crap dissertation...that the gun needs to have x rounds put thru it first before you send it back to us. And we really hope that works (crossing fingers). UGH

The production 1911 is not a tight fitting high revving machine. If its made correctly, it'll run right out of the box...its a machine, it doesn't have a choice.

But also keep in mind...because its running, doesn't mean its running correctly. I've seen many 1911 run for awhile, then implode.

My base line opinion on the RI 1911, or any other 1911 at this price point...if you know going in what you have, all will be good. I've seen upper end Springfields, Colts, and other makes puke out of the box...and have seen models like the RI run circles around the fore mentioned makes/models. Its a crap shoot anymore...sad.

Once purchased take it down and clean it. Lube the rails using grease...oil is too thin, the rails like something with some viscosity to it. NEVER turn the barrel bushing with the slide forward/barrel in lock-up position.

I have made this offer many years ago...if anyone wants a 1911 looked over for CCW/street use, I will do it for free. In my opinion...EVERY 1911 needs to be looked over before carrying/putting to life protection use.

Bottom line...I'm not a 1911 upper end snob...I'm a 1911 reliability snob, and proud of it.

I have detail stripped all my 1911's including the Para. The higher end Para made three trips back to a factory fixer before it really seemed okay. The second time back cured really all the mechanical stuff, the third trip cured my confidence. I would never have given it to my son otherwise. The Para was a series 80 and that did not bother me, a little more involved with the detail stripping and reassembly, but I was, and am not, put off by the series 80. I think series 70 is preferred by most though and it seems they are cheaper to produce too. So Ruger, ATI, RIA and many more of the economical builds seem to be series 70. It is less likely for them to have a failure out of the box as they were simpler to assemble.
I don't have real high round counts on my remaining 1911's, but absolutely no problems and I detail strip and inspect them once a year.

I will add one thing. Quality control seems like it's not what it should be at a lot of places.

My ATI 1911 had to go back because the first one had a barrel problem. It looked like the chamber had been cut with a broken reamer. It was terrible, no fix to it. They were quick about replacing it though, and this one gobbles up anything I put through it without a hiccup.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top