JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only things that put me off buying a Rock are the long, sharp-edged trigger (I need a short and rounded, more GI, for my short fingers), the sharp-tang grip safety (I prefer rounded) and the flat MSH (arched fits my hand better). I do like that they offer a factory threaded-barrel model.

If I could get the grip-safety and arched MSH of an ATI, the top-half of a threaded Rock and a GI trigger, I'd be happy as a clam. :)

ATI's are a bargain, I have the GI Model Commander length and that thing is tighter fit than my Colt Combat Commander XSE. Wouldn't hesitate on purchasing another ATI, recall mine was right around 350.00 from GrabAGun...
I have an ATI Military 1911. It shoots great and is extremely reliable. I bought it because I wanted a standard GI looking 1911. I didn't care for the grips on it so I replaced them with some old plastic GI grips. I shoot it all the time. I'm not the world's best pistol shot, but with sandbags at 25 yards it will do 2" groups on a good day.

Ok - dang near 'pulled the trigger' on a RIA 'Rock' series 9mm 1911 at lunch - but the day ain't over yet. Incredibly tight, great trigger, (series 70) and priced right - $499.
Ok I could probably search and find opinions about RIA but all owners please give me the 'down and dirty' on yours!
The blued Remington R1 is $489 at GrabAGun.
I'd look at that one as well.
1911 R1 45 for Sale | Black 5 Inch Bbl 7 Round Remington 96323

I have a Officer's Model, GI series 45 and really like it. I would like the "Rock" series better.. I would like a 9MM too
RIA quality is quite acceptable. Not a custom gun but great as shooters.

Any Model 1911 looks good to me...first pistol I ever fired and the memory has lasted me all my life so far.

I understand that. One of my early memories is of my grandfather taking me hunting with him when I was around five. I distinctly remember him strapping an old green web belt around my waist and fastening it with duct tape because it didn't adjust that small, and letting me carry his old Colt Government Model. I remember the holster banging against my knee as I walked. He said he let me shoot it when I was five, but I don't remember that. I shot it many, many times when I was older.

I inherited it when he passed, and one of my kids will own it someday (so long as we don't end up having to chop them all into little slices).

I had a RIA 22 tcm 1911. it was good quality, nice trigger, very smooth slide action.

Mass produced of course so you are not going to get hand fit parts so slightly loose tolerances. But $499 seems to be a good price

I have been looking at double stack 9mm 1911's for a while and the RIA 9mm/22 tcm has a lot of appeal. How did you like shooting .22 tcm? Do you reload? Why do you no longer have your RIA 22 tcm?

I have a Norinco 1911 and a Springfield 1911 both worked over with nice triggers. I can almost always best my buddies on the dueling tree target with my 7 round 1911's against their high end high capacity 9mm's even though my mags only carry 1/3 the ammo of theirs. It seems obvious to me that I need a double stack 9mm 1911. RIA seems the only affordable option and the 9mm / 22 tcm combo seems like a great deal... if only I could find one in stock at a local retailer without having to go through the mail order hassle and expense. Nobody seems to want to give away their fancy used STI or other high end double stack 9mm's for bottom feeder prices.

Some have said the best double stack 1911 is a CZ - like I am selling.

I have a Beretta 92 INOX, CZ 75 Compact and XDM double stack in 9mm... they are all excellent guns that I shoot well but they are no 1911's. For me single action 1911's are a perfect range gun... I have never considered carrying one though. For a carry gun I prefer SA/DA with a decocker.

It's not a 1911 if its 9mm:rolleyes:

That being said,my carry gun is a Rock Island commander in .45acp
I absolutely love it,and entrust my life to it,obviously.
Go for it!

It's not a 1911 if its 9mm:rolleyes:

That being said,my carry gun is a Rock Island commander in .45acp
I absolutely love it,and entrust my life to it,obviously.
Go for it!

Both my 1911's have 2.5lb triggers... which is great for a range gun (and why I shoot them so well) but too lite for a carry gun... for me. I am not saying a 1911 is not a great carry gun or no one should carry a 1911, it just isn't the right carry gun for me.

One of my hiking guns is a XDS 3.3 in 45 and I just picked up a XD mod 2 4.0" in .45 which is rapidly gaining my trust and respect. I usually carry a Kahr CM9 or Diamondback DB9 daily depending on what I am wearing. The XDS has always been my Portland carry gun ever since I purchased it a good while back.

Last Edited:
I have two R.I.A.. 1911's one in .45 and the other the new 10 mm double stack, both run flawlessly and I would not hesitate to carry one. Fir and finish is quite good and you get quite a lot of "Upgrades" as standard, things like a nice beavertail grip safety, G-10 Gtips, nice adjustable sights, a long trigger, and extended mag release all standard! Hard to go wrong with a nice Rock Island, especially for the price!

I have been looking at double stack 9mm 1911's for a while and the RIA 9mm/22 tcm has a lot of appeal. How did you like shooting .22 tcm? Do you reload? Why do you no longer have your RIA 22 tcm?

I have a Norinco 1911 and a Springfield 1911 both worked over with nice triggers. I can almost always best my buddies on the dueling tree target with my 7 round 1911's against their high end high capacity 9mm's even though my mags only carry 1/3 the ammo of theirs. It seems obvious to me that I need a double stack 9mm 1911. RIA seems the only affordable option and the 9mm / 22 tcm combo seems like a great deal... if only I could find one in stock at a local retailer without having to go through the mail order hassle and expense. Nobody seems to want to give away their fancy used STI or other high end double stack 9mm's for bottom feeder prices.

It shot fine, had a 9mm feel to firing it. It was limited on ammo manufacturers though. It did not get a lot of range time though since I started building 80% 1911's after that. I gave all my firearms away to my stepson when I moved to Hawaii rather than get them all registered here and pay to be fingerprinted into Rap Back. Open and concealed carry is also illegal and there are no public ranges here.

I will probably get the Armscorp 22TCM / 9mm combo with the double stack mag and VZ grips. RIA can have some quality problems, but if you are buying in person and know 1911's you can screen them out. At that point you will probably have a gun that will last a lifetime. If not their warranty is good and they are easy to work on. I like my Wilson Supergrade better, but they are by nature range only queens. I say get it.

I can't help but to observe...

The standards on this forum are high for the beloved Glock, AR, Python, and a few others... If you don't have a high end version, or if it's not loaded with high end mods, folks look down their nose.

But, enter the 1911. One of the most wonderful and iconic pistols ever made. But folks will rationalize a 3rd world attempt as being "good enough".:D

Reminds me much of an earlier life. Because I couldn't afford Smith and Wesson's, I tried to convince folks that my Taurus revolver was just as good. And When I couldn't afford a Colt 1911, I told people my Llama was just as good.

I owned a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier firearms because that's what i could afford, and I wont chastise folks now for owning what they can afford.

It's just the double standard that's interesting. Nothing less than the best AR is socially acceptable, but the same folks will make excuses for their cheap 1911's.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top