JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whether you're a fan or not, Tom Clancy has been a huge force in much of popular culture for the last 15 years, spawning a line of video games, and shaping much of today's info-tainment.

Clancy died on October 1, 2013, at the age of 66, in a Baltimore hospital after a brief illness at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, not far from his Maryland home.

Author Tom Clancy dead at 66 - WTOP.com

Whether you're a fan or not, Tom Clancy has been a huge force in much of popular culture for the last 15 years, spawning a line of video games, and shaping much of today's info-tainment.

Author Tom Clancy dead at 66 - WTOP.com

I remember when I first read Hunt for Red October. Was still a spook in the Naval Reserves. I kept telling myself, damn, I can't believe some of this isn't still classified or man, this guy is in trouble. But, it wasn't and he wasn't. My life got busier and so I have probably read only 8 or so of his books. Too bad he passed so young. Great author.

Brutus Out

Has anybody heard any details on how he died? Seems kind of sudden.

As of 10 minutes ago all of the reports say the press release did not include cause of death.... considering the "brief illness" quote and the large number of photos where he is smoking it could be lung cancer - I've known a few people that were healthy as a horse till that last month or two but this is merely a guess...

I was a fan, read them all. I actually met him one while living in Maryland briefly. Got to be friends with a taxi driver who made regular deliverys to Tom Clancys home. One day he asked me if I wanted to go with him. I did. Met Tom Clancy and he signed my book on his door step. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Wasn't he an insurance salesman and started writing at age 50 or so?
I think I've only read like one or none of his books.

He was 66 when he died, he wrote Hunt For Red October in 1982. He was selling insurance at that time. So in his 30's at least.

I've read them all. He was a good storyteller, but a better technician. You really got a feel for the weapons systems and the way they were used. Someone above mentioned Robert Ludlum. I've read all of those as well. I liked Clancy better. Ludlum researched the locations in Europe. Not so much the weapons and the way goverment agencies operate. Ludlum had a lot more 'Hollywood' in his stories.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top