JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I studied 22 WMR nearly 5 decades ago, it had the same energy as a 38 Special. One of the reason's I bought the convertible Colt revolver afterwards.
yeabut out of a common revolver, the .22 mag is pretty pipsqueak.. nowhere near .38 Special levels.. out of a handgun barrel.

The .22 mag does like a 16" or longer barrel. But the single six has a 6.5" or 7.5" barrel model thats pretty common, gives it a nice bump over .22lr and holds more birdshot. It's louder as well. lol

I have a PMR30 and a FN five seven, those two as well as the Ruger Single Six with the 22mag cylinder are all VERY VERY LOUD!!! The single six in 17 HMR are loud little mothers, too!

Savage did themselves no favors with the design of the Bmag and to make things even worse, many of the early skinner barrel Bmags didn't shoot very well at all so in the early years they did not have a very good reputation. Then they came out with the heavy barrel stainless steel models and things started to get better but the stock on them was a plastic POS so many of use ordered Boyds stocks for our HB SS Bmags but then Savage wised up and started selling HB SS Bmags with laminated stocks.

The Bmag has so oddities about it but they aren't so bad a person can't live with it. I've modded mine a far amount and have it setup pretty well. I shoot it suppressed 100% of the time and it's about as loud as a pellet gun and is a sage rat slaying machine. Where the 17 WSM really shines over the 17 HMR is when you start reaching out to further distances. At around 150 yards there's a pretty noticeable difference and the further you reach out, the more the 17 WSM really shines.

IMG_1057.jpg

For ground squirrels, I would definitely go 17 HMR. More pop on impact. I like a bullet that opens fast. A 17 or 20gr plastic tipped pullet at 2500 fps does well.

A 2500fps Pullet is one fast chicken I'm guessing that would run the fat right off them, now if it were a rooster you might expect that LOLOLOLOL.
OH did you mean pellet? snicker snort
Sorry just couldn't help myself typo's give me such fun! :rolleyes:
Gabby

A 2500fps Pullet is one fast chicken I'm guessing that would run the fat right off them, now if it were a rooster you might expect that LOLOLOLOL.
OH did you mean pellet? snicker snort
Sorry just couldn't help myself typo's give me such fun! :rolleyes:
Gabby
Bet it was Bullet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show