JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Freak.
Don't get me wrong I've shot plenty of '03s, P-14s, K98s, etc. but it is 2019 and there are plenty of LH bolt guns out there.
There are not that many rifle choices, compared to what right-handed shooter's have available. No doubt there are more choices available to lefties now. Savage appears to be leading, and Ruger, Remington, Browning, Weatherby, Tikka, and Thompson are it, I think?

There are not that many rifle choices, compared to what right-handed shooter's have available. No doubt there are more choices available to lefties now. Savage appears to be leading, and Ruger, Remington, Browning, Weatherby, Tikka, and Thompson are it, I think?

Exactly. And if for some reason I decide to sell it a right handed gun has a way better chance of selling.

:)

My general thoughts on cross eye dominance:
For a handgun - it doesn't matter except for when it comes to placing gear on your body, as in a pistol ends up being where rifle mags belong.
For rifles - it should primarily go to the same shoulder as the dominate eye, action of weapon is secondary except in case of Bullpups.

And how many choices do you think you need? My point is, compared to just a few decades ago there are a **** ton of choices available in LH bolt guns.

And I repeat, Tikka makes a LH rifle, what else do you need to know?

Last Edited:
And how many choices do you think you need? My point is, compared to just a few decades ago there are a **** ton of choices available in LH bolt guns.

And I repeat, Tikka makes a LH rifle, what else do you need to know?
Dude, I have no argument with you. I am merely saying right-handers have more options than lefties do. Yes, there are more right-handed buyers, which legitimizes the manufacturers appealing to the bulk of their base. I will probably shoot left-handed and likely buy a right-handed gun. A bolt-action is not that crucial to me being on the same side that I shoot on. On the other hand, a semi-automatic is very different.

I'm right handed left eye dominant. Eye dominance is much like handedness in that some people are very dominant with one side or the other, while some are more ambidextrous. For myself I have found I am able to switch focus to my right eye when shooting a rifle, but that may be more difficult for some.

I'm right handed left eye dominant. Eye dominance is much like handedness in that some people are very dominant with one side or the other, while some are more ambidextrous. For myself I have found I am able to switch focus to my right eye when shooting a rifle, but that may be more difficult for some.
I wish I could do the same! My left eye used to be 20/10 and my right eye 20/30; my left eye has overcompensated for the right my entire life. So, I couldn't shoot from the right if I wanted to worth a darn. I'm sure we all have our reasons for why we do things. At least am grateful I can see to shoot on the left! I make no claim to be a dead-eye, though! I will bow to the prowess of others in that regard.

They mention lefties shooting right handed AR's getting hot brass ejected on their necks. NEVER has happened to me, after THOUSANDS of rounds.

BUT...while shooting a FA M249 SAW I did manage to burn my right forearm from the piles of brass it spit.

:)
not the neck, but a few burns on the arms. I vastly prefer left handed rifles.

I was born leftie, left eye dominant, but 3 deep puncture wounds into my left shoulder and a left forearm shattered rendered me ambidextrous/rightie.

Yeah, that is a bunch of crap, RH ARs are fine LH, bolt guns are really the only "unfriendly" to LH that is not as big of a deal as location/operation of safeties IMO.
I have scars on my arm from hot brass that disagree. From an AR and a ruger pc-9. Its not a problem until you end up with a 2nd degree burn from one that sears on.

Left eye dominant - right hander here...
I shoot rifles lefty. I have all my life. Never knew it was odd when I started as a kid in class. Just felt natural.

Every long gun I get is right handed. I tried a few left handed bolt guns - but it was too weird for me by then.
Besides - ever see LH rifles for sale used much? Neither did I. So for "investment purposes" (lol) I figured I should just get used to taking shells across the face and and adapt.
Bullpups are impossible (except for PS90). 82A1's get a bit scary though.

Left eye dominant - right hander here...
I shoot rifles lefty. I have all my life. Never knew it was odd when I started as a kid in class. Just felt natural.

Every long gun I get is right handed. I tried a few left handed bolt guns - but it was too weird for me by then.
Besides - ever see LH rifles for sale used much? Neither did I. So for "investment purposes" (lol) I figured I should just get used to taking shells across the face and and adapt.
Bullpups are impossible (except for PS90). 82A1's get a bit scary though.
Tavor is a good ambidextrous bullpup. Mine is setup lefty. The Beretta CX4 can be set up to eject Left or right handed. Probably the most lefty/ambidextrous friendly rifle I own. I highly recommend trying a good semi auto lefty though. The change in comfort level is monumental.

I wish I could do the same! My left eye used to be 20/10 and my right eye 20/30; my left eye has overcompensated for the right my entire life. So, I couldn't shoot from the right if I wanted to worth a darn. I'm sure we all have our reasons for why we do things. At least am grateful I can see to shoot on the left! I make no claim to be a dead-eye, though! I will bow to the prowess of others in that regard.

It took me years of practice to get where I could shoot a rifle off my right shoulder, I credit my Aimpoints for making it happen.

I have scars on my arm from hot brass that disagree. From an AR and a ruger pc-9. Its not a problem until you end up with a 2nd degree burn from one that sears on.

It's never been an issue for me so I'll stick with the standard AR

My wife and son are right handed, left eye dominant. I've been having them shoot off their left shoulder but lately been thinking of trying to get them to train their right eye to shoot. Maybe taping over the left lens on some glasses, I've read it works. Not an issue but as mentioned there are more offerings for shooting off the right shoulder. I can shoot off either and use whichever eye the guns shouldered on, not a bad skill to learn and really doesn't take a lot of effort to get the hang of.
My son is the same. Right Handed Left Eye Dominant. He shoots left handed and works the bolt with his right hand. His AR throws brass across his face with out hitting him though it is possible some cases could come back at him. He seems to have accepted it and is making it work. He hasn't considered retraining his eyes.
For shooting single rounds in a RH bolt gun while shooting LH, he has an advantage with the port facing him. I am jealous you can shoot with both eyes. Sometimes I have to close my left eye just so my right eye can see better :)

My third grandson is left handed, right eye dominant. He's also small for his age but very athletic. While it felt odd to him [at first] using a right hand finger on the trigger, he's done as well as the two older grandsons. With both hands on the rifle or handgun, and both eyes open, it wasn't a matter of arm strength to hold steady. He's 10 now, and likes shooting a .223 off the bench. But shooting from other positions he prefers to shoot .22lr and .22wmr as those rifles and handguns are more manageable for a kid his size.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews