JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad had a revolver when I was a kid and he always said you have to carry it on one of the empty cylinder. My question is, was that correct? Is that necessary with modern revolvers? Dumb question, but I have never owned a revolver before.

Thanks

Your so limited in rounds it would be silly to have a empty slot in the cylinder. Most people cary theirs fully loaded 5-6 rounds. They just don't have the hammer pulled back.

The older revolvers had no hammer safety block like the newer ones. In other words if you bumped the hammer hard enough (very hard to activate primer) it would go off. The newer models have a small plate that fills a gap between the hammer and firing pin but is only there if it is cocked back. This is the modification that Ruger does on the older 3 screw models of the single actions but there isnt a need for it if you carry it on an empty chamber. Alot of S&W revolvers out there with the firing pin attached to the hammer that were carried for years fully loaded.

Load it up. Wheel guns made during and after had hammer blocks. You can beat on the hammer with a sledge hammer and it will not go off. But don't beat on the hammer to prove me wrong.
Have a gunsmith check the pistol to see if it has a hammer block. This is for everyones safty. I understand that shooting yourself in the foot hurts.

The idea of an empty chamber was in case you dropped the revolver on it's hammer it would not fire the round under the hammer.

On the old style single action army (SAA) pistols this was a real concern. On the newer revolvers, not so much. A very good reason to carry an older SAA in an enclosed hunting type holster. That way the pistol cannot fall out, or even hit the ground if you fall off your horse.

I carry an 85 year old DA/SA Colt revolver (no hammer block) when I ride. The Colt is carried in a fully enclosing hunting holster. Good protection from the weather, and in case I fall. I keep the Colt Fully loaded, but I also am very aware of the problem with a hard strike to the hammer.

The idea of an empty chamber was in case you dropped the revolver on it's hammer it would not fire the round under the hammer.

On the old style single action army (SAA) pistols this was a real concern. On the newer revolvers, not so much. A very good reason to carry an older SAA in an enclosed hunting type holster. That way the pistol cannot fall out, or even hit the ground if you fall off your horse.

I carry an 85 year old DA/SA Colt revolver (no hammer block) when I ride. The Colt is carried in a fully enclosing hunting holster. Good protection from the weather, and in case I fall. I keep the Colt Fully loaded, but I also am very aware of the problem with a hard strike to the hammer.

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads