Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Revolver question??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by flybynyt, Nov 23, 2011.

1. flybynyt

flybynyt Battleground, WA Active Member

My dad had a revolver when I was a kid and he always said you have to carry it on one of the empty cylinder. My question is, was that correct? Is that necessary with modern revolvers? Dumb question, but I have never owned a revolver before.

Thanks

2. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your so limited in rounds it would be silly to have a empty slot in the cylinder. Most people cary theirs fully loaded 5-6 rounds. They just don't have the hammer pulled back.

3. NCW Ray

NCW Ray Sunny Eastern Washington Active Member

Some real old revolvers didn't have a "hammer block" (not positive on terminology) so the firing pin was resting directly on the primer and a bump could fire it.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The older revolvers had no hammer safety block like the newer ones. In other words if you bumped the hammer hard enough (very hard to activate primer) it would go off. The newer models have a small plate that fills a gap between the hammer and firing pin but is only there if it is cocked back. This is the modification that Ruger does on the older 3 screw models of the single actions but there isnt a need for it if you carry it on an empty chamber. Alot of S&W revolvers out there with the firing pin attached to the hammer that were carried for years fully loaded.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Modern revolvers are okay fully loaded. The holes in the cylinder that contain the cartridges are referred to as chambers. A revolver only has one cylinder.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. flybynyt

flybynyt Battleground, WA Active Member

Great, thanks for the info. Chambers, right. I knew it wasn't cylinder but couldn't remember the name. Thanks again.

7. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Load it up. Wheel guns made during and after had hammer blocks. You can beat on the hammer with a sledge hammer and it will not go off. But don't beat on the hammer to prove me wrong.
    Have a gunsmith check the pistol to see if it has a hammer block. This is for everyones safty. I understand that shooting yourself in the foot hurts.

8. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

The idea of an empty chamber was in case you dropped the revolver on it's hammer it would not fire the round under the hammer.

On the old style single action army (SAA) pistols this was a real concern. On the newer revolvers, not so much. A very good reason to carry an older SAA in an enclosed hunting type holster. That way the pistol cannot fall out, or even hit the ground if you fall off your horse.

I carry an 85 year old DA/SA Colt revolver (no hammer block) when I ride. The Colt is carried in a fully enclosing hunting holster. Good protection from the weather, and in case I fall. I keep the Colt Fully loaded, but I also am very aware of the problem with a hard strike to the hammer.

9. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

10. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

The old gunslingers would carry five rounds in the cylinder and a $10 bill in the sixth, under the hammer: Burial money.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.