JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been shooting my K-31 a bit lately and the fact that I have exactly one matched magazine for it got me to thinking about magazines generally.

I've spent a bunch of money on mags, for everything from a Beretta 92, to a 10/22, to too many AR mags to count. I even have a passel of G17 mags that I just found in the basement though I haven't owned that pistol for about eighteen years. I probably have spent $2k or so just on mags for various weapons.

But my favorite handgun right now is a Ruger LCR in .357 Mag. No magazine though. My "bump in the night, clear the property" gun is a Mossberg 590, again, just the one tube mag. The other rifle I have been playing with most is my Uncle's old Marlin .30-30 I inherited recently, with again a tube mag that I did need to buy a spring for, the last one put in the gun sometime in 1967.

And what I have found is that I haven't missed shooting the bottom feeders much at all. And then I started getting the strange notion that I'd be just fine, short of those truly apocalyptic end of days scenarios we bat around, if things only hit the fan for a spell and the low cap iron was all I had. What rabble is seriously going to test themselves against the Mossy or even the old Swiss warhorse, or even the retired deer getter?

And so I'm sitting on a lot of parked money in magazines and the voracious ammo eaters that use them. I could certainly finance quite the upgraded reloading station with those guns and their plentiful mags. . .especially if things start going sideways politically and they fetched beyond current top dollar. Wouldn't get rid of all of them, just most of them.

Or have I just gone plumb loco relaxing with a beat up, badass bolt rifle from yesteryear?

Boats

I do not know you but from this post I have to answer your question below with a yes your plumb loco.

Or have I just gone plumb loco relaxing with a beat up, badass bolt rifle from yesteryear?

No I understand your feelings but do not agree with it. I have one bolt action 22, one pump shot gun tube fed and two single shot shotguns that I got from my Dad when he passed everything else I own is magazine fed in the form of ARs, AKs, FALs, Glocks M&Ps and Springfield XDs I do not even own a revolver any more. Even the 22 rifles I have bought are mag fed.

No I do understand as I have been playing this game a lot of years so my focus went from old military bolts to lever action to modern Semi-auto sporters and then back again but now all I run are mag fed guns and this is where I will stay.

If you enjoy them then that is all that matters.

Have a great day

12 was the number for me but now I need a Bakers dozen revolvers Oops forgot one well now I need 14. Yes I need a 45 ACP revolver and as soon as Charter fills the order I'll have it.

I believe in a mix or action and caliber choices

I only own two semi auto rifles one uses a clip the other a magazine. I have 30) 15rd mags and about 50) 8rd clips

I have a couple bolt action rifles that use magazines. For the ones used for hunting I have a couple mags for the ones used for varmints and target shooting I have 4-5.

All my handguns that use magazines I have at least 5) mags for a couple I have 8) mags.

I have 4) speedloaders for each of my DA revolvers

At first I was hoping you were going to say you were making a larger magazine for the K31 and I got super stoked. So I guess that indicates where my heads at regarding rounds capacity. I love shooting, I don't necessarily love reloading, particularly if its something like a tube fed gun.

I just got a VEPR in 54r and the 5 round magazines bum me out, I feel like "done already?". The one type of gun I don't mind limited rounds capacity is a single shot 50 bmg. Each shot is a blast, taking the time to load one at a time saves me money, and I can regain my composure between shots. I'd still like to one day own an M2 though...

I'm going to go research a larger magazine for the K31! Thanks for the unintentional inspiration!

I had hoped this was about alternative mag designs.

Personally, I like mags that are parallel to the barrel - like the rotary mag on the Calico or the flat mag on the FN P90 - they don't stick down and get in the way, and they are often higher capacity.

Well, I have a few bottom feeders stashed, not so much for the end of the world, but because they are occasionally fun. But I'm too fat to make a convincing operator, so if I showed up to ARPC in full bdu's, plate carrier, drop leg holster, and a single point sling, with my helmet strap buckled on my double chin, people would laugh at me.
Nah, honestly, the tacticool world of the ar15 just wore me down. I've owned several, shot a lot of rounds through them, taken some really cool classes with them. But I don't really enjoy the atmosphere surrounding them. So while I keep one or two stashed away, shoot them often enough to know their POA/POI is good and I still remember my manual of arms, I will mostly leave that world to others.

The guns that I actually enjoy are mostly old sporters bolt guns and milsurps. No external magazines. I recognize the utility of short caliber bottom feeders, keep one or two just in case, but honestly, I'm staying the hell out of the way for the next few years, as I think gun owners are going to go full panic mode again.

The things folks say about us, and look at who we really are - bolt action folks rubbing shoulders with AR people, everyone getting along. What a wonderfully diverse group. :D

Today I'm going to try out one of those new PMAG D-60 drum magazines. Woo-hoo! Before you judge, I've got a wheel gun, bolt gun and pump gun too.

I have two box magazine guns, and one tube magazine gun.... no bolts, or levers yet, don't mind an AR, but leaning more towards a decent lever these days... my economical 9mms are quite honestly, good bang for the buck guns. 9mm carbine for plinking and short range defense, not suitable for hunting medium-large game, but varmints at close ranges, sure. 9mm handgun on my person when I OC, (going to get a CHL soon, along with a more compact 9mm than my full size Ruger P85)... for SD usage. 60+ year old JC Higgins 12 ga trap/birding gun.. can be used in HD in a pinch if needed, tho rather unwieldy. That 12ga though... pretty good on the trap range in Independence before it closed down.

I would much rather have a .30-30 with a short octagon barrel and a .44 mag 329PD on my hip than a "hi-speed" hi-cap bullpup. But when the SHTF, it will be the bullpup I reach for.

Fortunately, I can afford both.

My favorite guns to shoot are .22 rimfires, and of those, probably a bolt action with a tube feed that can take shorts as well as LR ammo. If someone made a semi-auto that would feed and cycle shorts at the same time it could feed and cycle LR ammo, then I would get that - if it was accurate.

The Rossi 62.. it had an 18" barrel and a big thumbscrew on the receiver block.. it could be taken down. It was a round barrel SA model I think... been a long time. Also tube fed and we had one of those cheesy but effective speed loader cylinders. 14 rds of .22LR or more for .22 Short.

My favorite rifles are Winchester 1885's! :) But I can see the use of magazine-fed guns, and have some of those, both bolt and semi autos.

I'd be willing to bet that the slower your gun cycles, the more conservative your shooting is going to be. Your ammo will last longer. So even 1885's have their tacticool points. :D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews