JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been really bothered by the testimony from students, educators and parents regarding the trauma they experience when going through lockdown drills. Most recently with testimony in SB 978 hearing. I can't tell if they are being sincere or if it's an act to try and gain sympathy from legislators and electors. Or both.

Do these students really believe that restricting our rights is going to eliminate lockdown drills? If they don't believe that, what is the point of their testimony in a hearing on a bill like SB978?

If these lockdown drills really are causing emotional trauma among students, faculty and family members maybe they should do away with them or perform them in such a way that it mitigates the trauma. Tips on doing that:
Mitigating Psychological Effects of Lockdowns

The more skeptical/paranoid side of me thinks that administrators could be intentionally make these drills more emotionally traumatic than necessary to influence kids to side with anti-rights causes.

I want to address this with all parties involved but I'm not sure how to approach it. Any ideas? Should I attempt legislation that
that requires less traumatic lockdown procedures. I would think this would be a non-partisan issue?

So if they ban fire they won't do fire drills anymore?
Exactly and that is what makes me suspicious of their motives for that type of testimony. If we were to offer them a solution to eliminating or mitigating the trauma they are supposedly experiencing and they rejected it, that would show everybody their cards.

Until they realize a sign won't stop someone bent on doing harm, it's futile...IMO.
Gun free zones w/o a hard barrier or metal detection (think airport) aren't meant to protect.

That said, I don't know how to make someone feel comfortable when those administrators, let alone anti-gun parents put here to protect you, have so little grasp of the facts.

I remember the air raid and nuke drills when I was in elementary school. We had them at least once a month. They would blow the siren and we would all file out into the hallway, kneel down facing the lockers and cover the back of our necks with our hands and wait. It was interesting times back then. I liked them because it disrupted classroom time. None of the kids ever freaked out though.

I can not speak for all schools...
But at the school I teach in , we haven't had any students traumatized over a lock down drill.
I can say that after the last drill some of my concerns and thoughts were listened to and the Admin were open to these ideas...
Andy

It's only traumatic until they get used to it. Then it will be commonplace, like fire drills - or the air raid drills from "our day". Was it freaky at first, during "the cold war" and not knowing if nukes were really inbound? Sure it was. Then it became "normal" to practice and be conscious of what to do in an emergency.

Let 'em whine and complain. Give them a trophy (or ribbon) for participating, and send them back to class.

Toughen up buttercups! Life doesn't get easier once you move out of mommy and daddy's house!

I think I might take a walk in a little while; maybe they should bring me a air filled rubbet suit and a gay looking bycicle helmet in case I trip so I won't get a scratch.

And a set of noise proof ear muffs so if some one says anything I won't get my little feelings hurt.

Damn it feels good being a anti-gunner leftest.

I am sitting here laughing..... I wonder what these students, administrators and parents would do if these "drills" were ramped up to give a more realistic sense of what could happen.

I laugh because it reminds me of the old Steven Wright skit. He says that he liked to go to the park and watch all the kids running around yelling and screaming. He says, "They don't know I'm using blanks."

Toughen up buttercups! Life doesn't get easier.....

My wife teaches middle school special ed and I can assure you folks that think the new drills are as benign as our old duck and cover drills are wrong. They are intentionally realistic so both teachers and students will know what it's like when the real thing happens.

As to the testimony, I am in agreement with the OP - not seeing the relevance. I just wanted to point out the actual intensity of the drills.

That is all.

My wife teaches middle school special ed and I can assure you folks that think the new drills are as benign as our old duck and cover drills are wrong. They are intentionally realistic so both teachers and students will know what it's like when the real thing happens.

As to the testimony, I am in agreement with the OP - not seeing the relevance. I just wanted to point out the actual intensity of the drills.

That is all.
I have a son in high school. I could see where a parent could have some temporary anxiety if an unannounced drill caused their child to send them a message. There should be ways to remedy those issues and still instruct students on how to prepare.

I don't see the rational for making a school shooting drill realistic...

What are they going to do if the real thing happens? Lock the door? That's not real hard:rolleyes:.

Why panic the kids when it's only a small possibility it will ever happen?

They don't fill the halls full of smoke for fire drills.

Drill or not a drill.
I never could figure out why students feel the need to call mommy. o_O

What do they expect ... her to rush down to school and put out the fire/give the shooter a time-out/bring their "comfort" duck/make sure those 1st responders are responding properly/bring huggies and fruit roll-ups?

Maybe schools need cell-jamming for drills...and call drills "independent self-comfort and safe-zone location discovery adventure time".

Drill or not a drill.
I never could figure out why students feel the need to call mommy. o_O

What do they expect ... her to rush down to school and put out the fire/give the shooter a time-out/bring their "comfort" duck/make sure those 1st responders are responding properly/bring huggies and fruit roll-ups?

Maybe schools need cell-jamming for drills...and call drills "independent self-comfort and safe-zone location discovery adventure time".
Maybe no phones period and note to kids tell your parents you love them on your way out the door instead of waiting until you think you are going to die.

I don't see the rational for making a school shooting drill realistic...

What are they going to do if the real thing happens? Lock the door? That's not real hard:rolleyes:.

Why panic the kids when it's only a small possibility it will ever happen?

They don't fill the halls full of smoke for fire drills.

There is a whole level of complexity built into an active shooter drill from coded messages, flashing lights, alarms, to herding the kids into the safest part of a classroom, to keeping them quiet, blockading the doors, getting students used to the sounds while police are clearing halls, etc. It is not as simple as closing a door.

The drill exercises are there to insure maximum safety for students and staff and like all things (especially with kids) practice is needed lest we have another Sandy Hook incident. Yeah, I know many of you think that was fake as well as Columbine and the supposed false flag of the Parkland shootings - I can't help you there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top