JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to see if anyone knows of an experienced AK builder locally. I know Turbothis down south and there's some armory place that does it in Portland, but Turbo doesn't paint or finish the barrel/receiver and the Portland dude charges a bubblegum ton. Any other options y'all know of? Got a '69 Izzy Kit to have built and with 114 looming in uncertainty (since I will refuse to get the permit) I'm hesitant to send it out of state for fear of having to be required to get a purchase permit to have MY OWN rifle back when it's done. Turbo may be my only option and I'll have to figure something else out for finishing.

Billy Cho. Who runs Iron Born Armory. He used to be one of the head builders at rifle dynamics in Vegas with Jim Fuller.

Billy is local to the Portland area. He does top tier work and is a premier builder. His prices reflect that.

Billy Cho. Who runs Iron Born Armory. He used to be one of the head builders at rifle dynamics in Vegas with Jim Fuller.

Billy is local to the Portland area. He does top tier work and is a premier builder. His prices reflect that.
That's the one I was referring to, just couldn't remember the name. He charges $1500 for a build. Which is more than the kit cost. There's certainly a range of prices out there, but that dude is smoking crack for those prices.

Got a '69 Izzy Kit to have built and with 114 looming in uncertainty (since I will refuse to get the permit) I'm hesitant to send it out of state for fear of having to be required to get a purchase permit to have MY OWN rifle back when it's done.
for what a POS law 114 is its worth noting there is an exception for gunsmithing.

That's the one I was referring to, just couldn't remember the name. He charges $1500 for a build. Which is more than the kit cost. There's certainly a range of prices out there, but that dude is smoking crack for those prices.
Overhead…. Taxes: city, county, TriMet, state, and state "corporate activity tax"…. then there's federal tax, social security (which equals 15% of gross payroll for self-employed), various insurance policies, utilities (which also have taxes attached), leasing space (which also have taxes attached), don't forget inventory tax on assets, tooling up and maintaining tools as they wear out, paying an accountant to keep your ledger and taxes straight….. THEN after ALL of that, having enough left over to actually make a living and put some into savings.

Yeah, $1,500 to take someone's kit and use your life-long learning to become a skilled craftsman and EARN an good reputation as a master of your craft, and make it into a reliable and sound shooter doesn't sound terribly unreasonable to me. You get what you pay (and vote) for.

Last Edited:
You obviously have never seen what he produces. But do what you want. I've worked with him and his skill and quality is untouchable. Well worth the money.

You might as well go buy something off PSA if you're looking for budget pricing.

Last Edited:
Overhead…. Taxes: city, county, TriMet, state, and state "corporate activity tax"…. then there's federal tax, social security (which equals 15% of gross payroll for self-employed), various insurance policies, utilities (which also have taxes attached), leasing space (which also have taxes attached), don't forget inventory tax on assets, tooling up and maintaining tools as they wear out, paying an accountant to keep your ledger and taxes straight….. THEN after ALL of that, having enough left over to actually make a living and put some into savings.

Yeah, $1,500 to take someone's kit and use your life-long learning to become a skilled craftsman and EARN an good reputation as a master of your craft, and make it into a reliable and sound shooter doesn't sound terribly unreasonable to me. You get what you pay (and vote) for.
You know who doesn't charge this much for their build services and has comparable or more experience? AKJohn at Middletown, the folks at Blackbush Armory, and even Troy Sellars, to name a few.

Thanks for the dig about my voting too. Even though you have no idea what or who I have ever voted for.

You obviously have never seen what he produces. But do what you want. I've worked with him and his skill and quality is untouchable. Well worth the money.

You might as well go buy something off PSA if you're looking for budget pricing.
Good to see that firearm elitism isn't dead.

Obviously I haven't. But I have seen what other very reputable folks can do at half the price or less than this guy blessed by Almighty Jim Fuller. I'm trying to enjoy my hobby and not break the bank while raising a family. So sorry I don't have enough money to agree with your tastes. I'll get right on that.

Second for Koonce Customs in Salem.

He did a fantastic job on a Tantal barrel swap for me (Thanks Century).

Not inexpensive, and took a while, but the result was well worth it.

Regards.

WMB

Good to see that firearm elitism isn't dead.

Obviously I haven't. But I have seen what other very reputable folks can do at half the price or less than this guy blessed by Almighty Jim Fuller. I'm trying to enjoy my hobby and not break the bank while raising a family. So sorry I don't have enough money to agree with your tastes. I'll get right on that.
Spend your money however you like. But don't say someone is smoking crack because you don't like their price. He can do something you cant and is more than welcome to ask whatever price he wants.

It's the same as buying a Glock Vs a staccato. They both do the same thing. They both work. One is much nicer than the other. One costs much more than the other. You choose.

He's my friend and I will vouch for him. Do what you want. It's not "elitism" your just mad his pricing doesn't fit your bill. No reason to throw shade on that. He has plenty of work and his products reflect his pricing.

Good luck in your search.

You came here asking for options and builders that are local. Remember that.

Looking to see if anyone knows of an experienced AK builder locally. I know Turbothis down south and there's some armory place that does it in Portland, but Turbo doesn't paint or finish the barrel/receiver and the Portland dude charges a bubblegum ton. Any other options y'all know of? Got a '69 Izzy Kit to have built and with 114 looming in uncertainty (since I will refuse to get the permit) I'm hesitant to send it out of state for fear of having to be required to get a purchase permit to have MY OWN rifle back when it's done. Turbo may be my only option and I'll have to figure something else out for finishing.
Pretty close to you and they have done excellent work on the AK builds I have seen and handled: McCluskey Arms down in Eugene. They have some build photos on their Instagram and website.

Another vote for Todd Koonce. Hismeds, if you spend 5 minutes with Todd you'll see he'll do you right. He is an AK guy as well.

You know who doesn't charge this much for their build services and has comparable or more experience? AKJohn at Middletown, the folks at Blackbush Armory, and even Troy Sellars, to name a few.

Thanks for the dig about my voting too. Even though you have no idea what or who I have ever voted for.
Let me clarify…. Apologies if you took it that way, I wasn't personally attacking you, and obviously I have no clue as to your voting proclivities.

"You" is an all inclusive noun indicating "we" (as a society, also an all inclusive noun) get what the voters passed despite what you or I voted for.

As for comparative pricing, each builder has different circumstances (in totality) and goods and services (generally) cost what they cost for a reason. That's all I'm saying.

Last Edited:
I never got a call back from Koonce... perhaps it was because I left a message at 4 in the morning? So, with no other option (the other well known place in Oregon seems to be overwhelmed) I sent my kit out of state.

I would stick w Matt.(turbothis)
Quality builder at least you could get the work done, and deal with the finish later

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads