JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would try alcohol first (not likely to remove paint, but it is cheap and worth a try), then maybe naphtha if that doesn't work, then acetone if that doesn't work. I would start with an small area on the underside of the scope to see what it does to the underlying finish.

I am not sure what the various scope manufacturers use for their finishes - maybe anodizing? I doubt that any of the above would remove anodizing, but it may dull it.

Here is a tip for those who want to camoflage gun parts like a scope without painting it; use camo cohesive tape (the kind used to wrap bandages). It is inexpensive, it wraps around various things, it has a 3D texture so it is better camo, it has no adhesive to be left behind (it sticks to itself - hence the word 'cohesive') and can be removed easily. Also, the texture is such that it allows for a better grip on the part, and it adds some protection against bumps, scratches and dings.

Best of all, it does not damage the original finish - although it may trap water against the object so the original finish should be rust resistant, and the tape may melt if used against hot surfaces like a barrel.

Citri-strip, it's a gel available at most Big Box stores, will remove most any paint but won't harm the underlying surface. Lay it on thick with a disposable brush, let work for 30 mins. or more, but try not to let it dry out. On something like a scope, I'l put on a thick coat then wrap it in Saran Wrap. For tough spots, hit again, then use a scrub brush after it's had a chance to work for awhile. Rinse with water, and done. I used this to strip the remaining clear coat off an old Airstream travel trailer, worked great. And did I mention no harsh fume or solvents? And it's biodegradable.

BTW, most scopes are anodized, which should be impervious to just about anything short of a strong acid or alkali.

I've removed allot of pain from scopes without damaging them. Gotta go slow. Don't soak it in anything. Soak a small rag in acetone and rub. It will come right off.
Don't let the acetone run under and get into the seals.

Sell it for twice what it's worth, as it being a rare custom Nightforce scope and all.
Or, try a dab of this product. It's worked well for me.

QCSG801_1000x1000_280_280_80.jpg

ACETONE worked well on my old Leupold VX-3 that was shot with the "Camo" Krylon paint. I have spray painted way to many nice rifles lol. And like mentioned above soak a rag and spot test on the bottom side before getting carried away.

Edit: If my spray painted AR in the classifieds doesn't get any hits soon I will be using ACETONE again. I will make sure to post some before and after pics.

Wanted to give an update on how Acetone worked for me. I didn't bother spending to much time getting every nook and cranny cleaned. I am selling this gun for very cheap so it won't break my heart if I end up keeping it.

Before and after

20190607_195400.jpg 20190607_195442.jpg 20190604_202018.jpg 20180831_165605.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews