JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where do you get that Kroil? I have never heard of it or seen it any where. I have had good luck with PB Blaster and Zep 45 for rust busting and penatrating, IF there is something better then those I would love to try it!

I just found an 8oz can on Amazon for $14 shipped. Not sure if there are better deals, but that's what I found doing a quick online check. I'm guessing 8oz. will last forever.

Kroil is made by Kano Labs somewhere back East.
You can order it right from the factory.
It comes in either a spray can or liquid pint can with a little plastic drop spout.
By far the best penetrating solvent that I have used.
Works best if you warm up the frozen/stuck screw and tap the rusted part while applying a few drops.
Also great to remove surface rust on firearms. Just apply some all over the part and wrap tightly in Saran Wrap for a day and then wipe off with a terry cloth rag.

Last Edited:
lacquer thinner

Tasco world class put a nice rubber coating on a few of their scope a number of years ago.. Yep it started breaking down after awhile. Lacquer thinner takes the coating right off...

Just an update - I tried the lacquer thinner recommended by @Velzey and it seems to work well. It still takes a little work to get the coating off, but it's working much better than the alcohol.

I still need to get some Kroil based on the suggestions here for some other applications too.

So thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Covering the lenses good first, I would be inclined to try Klean-Strip aircraft grade paint stripper, applied with a fine hair paint brush. Rinse with water.

Kroil... the mother of all penetrating, rust-buster oils!
YES, A few years ag I worked on a 113 year old train car, 95% made of wood, built like an upside down wooden truss bridge. So it had to massive truss rods with turn buckles then the end platform beams were also held in tension, about 1.25 inches in diameter and threaded with big nuts on the end. Except where they's been damaged We needed to get them off. Tried WD 40, PB blaster FOR DAYS, and finally Aero Kroil did it with heat. Mind you on some we didn't want to break the steel truss rod by over torquing with a big open end wrench and breaker bar. AeroKroil is worth the 20 bucks you'll spend at Fastenal or Tacoma Screw Products.

Brutus Out

Kroil... the mother of all penetrating, rust-buster oils!

i used to think it was the best(and still use it to this day) until i started using AC delco heat valve penetrant that we stock at work. stuff has acid in it and severly irritates my skin if its not immediately washed off. good sign that it works. LOL.

you know its bad when i have to bust this stuff out.

Just watch out,,,,Most paint stripper will attack bluing or anodizing so watch out for that. That is what I have used for years to strip bluing on something that was being re-blued later on. Anything abrasive will damage the underlying finish more than likely so no scotch- brite, brass brush's ect.

Whats wrong with the Tasco red dots??

I've got 2 here I've used for must be close to 20 years now, and they have never failed once and battery life is incredible ,,He** it musta took 10-12 years to wear out the first battery in the one on my turkey gun and that thing would stay on for half a day at a time and never got weak.
The other was on a MK11 pistol and I'd left it on for about a week one time and when I broke it back out to use,,it was still shining and the battery is still working just fine a year later on a different gun with no signs of it being the least bit weak!!! I use these scopes frequently too so I couldn't even tell you how many hours that battery has lasted? That one that was on the MK11 I don't believe I've even changed the battery in yet to be honest? For sure it's at least 15 years old!!

So obviously I've never had battery life issues myself, they seem to last forever and there easy to get at most any drugstore that carries watch,hearing aid , or specially batteries. Cheap too, 2-3 bucks or so,,,no biggie IMO. Those Tasco work just fine IMHO if you use them for what there designed for,,close up work. The dot is a bit course for further out I must admit,like 100m and out,not as good . I'm guessing there about a 5MOA dot probably?? A 2 or 3 MOA dot is much better for finer shooting at further distances though, no doubt there.

Mine are shedding the rubber coating a titch also,, but it don't bother me one bit sense they don't look to bad and they both work just fine for me and have for many years. I have no issue with them myself other than being a bit bulky. But for what they cost,,you'd be hard pressed to find anything much better for the buck IMO.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads