JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a Remington 700 BDL back in the early 70s - 7MM RM.

It was okay, but I was secretly jealous of my hunting partner's Win Model 70, even back then it seemed like a better quality rifle and I preferred the more subdued stock finish over the shiny finish on the Remington (I have come to like a nicely oiled finish to any shiny finish - to the point where I am considering striping the finish on my recently purchased CZ 527 and then hand rubbing it with oil).

Today, if I were considering a new bolt action hunting rifle, I think I would consider a Winchester, Browning or CZ and Remington would not be considered at all.

Remington didn't make the stock. Sure they put it on their barreled action, but remington outsources those stocks.

@Caveman Jim , was your bolt sloppy when it was closed or in the retract ( load another round) position ?

As with allot of companies, they have their issues. I took in a savage 93 r 17, the fellow has run 100 rounds thru it and the thing just won't sight in.
Welp guess what savage forgot to do...
Looks like their button rifling machine got crossed up and removed all the rifling all together. So it's a smooth bore 17 :)

Remington made their best (700 series) riflems and actions from about 1950-1975, in my opinion.

The bolt was sloppy when ejecting and feeding another round. I kept it lubed but it was just not what I expected.:(

I've been very happy with Rugers rifles from top to bottom.

The one Savage I had was ok but not impressive compared to the Rugers I've held and owned.

Savage has some nice offerings though that intrigue me, but the most popular stuff gets copied anyway so I guess it's what you find for the price you find it for in the end.

I've been very happy with Rugers rifles from top to bottom.

The one Savage I had was ok but not impressive compared to the Rugers I've held and owned.

Savage has some nice offerings though that intrigue me, but the most popular stuff gets copied anyway so I guess it's what you find for the price you find it for in the end.
Although I am a savage guy my rifles are specialized, a heavy varmint and a benchrest which I love. That being said I am really impressed with ruger rifles and for a hunting rifle it might be perfect

30 posts and I'm still confused about something. You're getting the (2nd) new stock to replace the one the shop owner gave you (to give him)? Or to keep because Remington made you grumpy?

My Wife's Rem 700 from 2012 (albeit the basic packaged model) hasn't given us any problems and feels pretty tight.

I think this is a good example - cars, guns, knives or anything mass produced can have quality control issues.

Some company's have better policy's in place or just make a better widget but you should always test drive or handle and inspect what your about to buy.

Even if your not an expert mechanic or familiar with a particular type of gun/knife then go with your gut - if it feels off ask to see a different one of the same model and compare.

I'm the end, if it doesn't work or look right at the store it won't be any better at home.

Kind of sad Remington went so far downhill. Growing up it was a name associated with quality.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top