Remington 870 20 gauge tactical?

Discussion in 'Pump-Action Shotguns' started by 13planes, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 13planes

13planes
    Oregon

I have a 20 gauge 870 handed down to me. It was made in the mid 1950's. I would like to put magpul furniture and shorter barrel etc for home defense for my girlfriend. Does anyone know if this can be done? I have heard those years of shotguns use 12 gauge receiver etc. And I know there are adapters for 12 gauge stock. Will current replacement 18inch barrels etc fit on this gun?

2. Rocklock

Rocklock
    Portland, Oregon

Can't say for your shotgun, but I have an early 80's 20 ga Wingmaster which is built on the 12ga frame. The barrel has a very pronounced step in it where it tapers from the 12 ga frame to the 20 ga barrel profile. Later manufacture barrels do not fit (been there, done that). I have replaced the buttstock and fore end with a 12ga Jack West adjustable stock so that part of the equation works.

3. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well first are you sure you want to go after that gun with stuff? As old as it is it "may" have some collector value. I would find out first. Someone who wants it may well pay enough for it to buy a new 20 Ga. As to what parts will fit no matter what you read here I would start with the people who make the stuff you want. They should have a way to search. If not e-mail of call and ask them what fits what. Buy from a reputable source so if you get one and it does not you can return it.

4. 13planes

13planes
    Oregon

Thank you that is helpful!

5. 13planes

13planes
    Oregon

I plan on keeping the old components. Last I checked it's not worth that much and I would never sell it. Thanks for the advice! :)

Alexx1401 likes this.
  6. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OK if it's got no collector value it would make a fine "home" shotgun then. As to what will fit again the best way is to ask the people who make the stuff. They should have a searchable database on what fits what. If they have what you want it will be VERY nice.