JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Acquired from the individual who purchased it new, this semi auto / tube fed / .22 will chamber .22 short, long, and long rifle cartridges. The barrel year code is UU, indicating that it left the factory in 1949. This places it early in the production run, and the rifle displays with the scarce non-grooved upper receiver milling. There are no post production holes present on either the metal or the wood.

The wood is in excellent original condition with a conservative estimate of 95% original finish remaining. There are a few handling marks and minor dings, but no cracks or major post production issues.

The spent shell ejector shield had been removed, but the original part was presented along with the rifle for re-installation. A local gunsmith supplied a replacement (non-original ) screw with the correct thread count and length, and the shield was reinstalled.

The metal shows some carry and handling wear, along with minor spotty rust freckling and slight blue thinning overall. The muzzle shows notable blue loss, as do carry areas on the underside and the frame.

The rifle has not been tested for operation. Based on the lack of use, it will probably respond well to a thorough disassembly and cleaning (the floating chamber is noted for carbon buildup and associated issues), but will most probably not require any replacement of parts.

If you are looking to add an honest and early 550-1, in well above average condition to your collection, this should be a serious consideration!

Price reduced to $225~.

541-821-0574

Local delivery through FFL only - no mail order.

right side.jpg butt.jpg left mid.jpg butt left.jpg left front.jpg muzzle.jpg right mid.jpg receiver R.jpg right butt.jpg shell deflector.jpg

Last Edited:
This is just a comment here, and that rifle is worth every penny he's asking.......

I was at a gun show with a newb about 3 months back. He was looking for a cheap 22 to start out with (at my advice). I told him Marlin 60's were ok and usually fairly inexpensive. We looked and looked and the cheapest 60 they had was $150. Then at almost the last table we came across a 550-1 in just about the same shape as you have there. Price marked $125. I looked at the guy and told him that was the best deal at the show and I meant on anything I saw not just the 22's we looked at. Told him if he didnt buy it I was going to. He bought it. Absolute great shooter and as that newb gets experienced he will realize how lucky he got for a 22 that nice for that price.

550-1's are excellent little units, everyone should have two.

I will also agree with Bealzybub!! All the older Remington 500 series models are great.. an good shooters.. you couldn't give me 3 model 60's for 1 wore out Remington.. Nice gun an not a bad price for a keeper gun.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.