JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I ran into something interesting this weekend. I've been shooting trap so much the past two years, I haven't even tried some of my shotguns for their actual intended multi-round use! Come to find out, I had a round restrictor in my Benelli Nova, and my Remington 1100 is a bit of a pain to load! Hence, I come here inquiring about it.

On my Remington 1100, when I want to put rounds into the magazine, I need to depress the feed button on the bottom to allow the feed mechanism to move up and out of the way. This is the same button that releases the bolt when it locks bock. It's a bit of a hassle to finagle the button while also shoving rounds into the magazine.

Has anyone out here made any improvements to this functionality? Aftermarket parts perhaps or some equivalent?

Thanks in advance. This is by far one of my favorite shotguns, with great fit, very minimal recoil, and I can bust clays with it like nobodies business.

I am 54 now the 1100 remington I have now I acquired by selling a 4h steer while in high school. I speak for myself but that button has never caused me a problem for well over three decades. I have done a lot of hunting with it and shot.a lot of trap. I have killed a lot of Michigan white tails with it. I know this gun well. There were only two problems I have had with it. 1 the O ring for the gas system and 2. The automatic ejection of shells in single trap and a rubber band fixed that. I will never get rid of my 1100 I have too many miles with it.

Glad to hear it's treated you so well! Yeah I dig the shotgun a lot! Perhaps my setup wasn't lubed enough, especially given how cold it was out. It just didn't make reloading it as quick and easy as other shotguns I own.

I feel really sill for not having though about just putting a rubber band over the receiver to catch shells so they don't eject, haha. I'll have to go seek out some serious rubber bands for this!

I have a Ton of experience with the 1187 ( which is the big brother to the 1100) and it has the same exact set up. What I do to load mine is dump the first round in the open feed/ejection port on top of the feed ramp, then load the mag tube, which when pushing the shells in automatically releases the bolt to feed that first round into battery! Remington Specifically set these up for high speed Shooting/Hunting where reloading speed is important. For the O-Ring issues, go to Napa auto parts and ask for the blue or green silicone O-Rings for A/C systems, Take your old one with you to compare with.

Interesting. I find mine reloads notably slower than my Beretta A391 Xtrema 2, or even my Benelli Nova. Perhaps I've got something in the mechanism(s) that is binding a bit. I'll play with it next time I go out and shoot!

Interesting that your having loading speed issues, My 1187 is about the fastest loading auto out there. Don't push the release button with your finger or make any extra effort when loading, just drop a live round in the open port and start shovin shells in the mag! Even my Winchester SuperX-3 isn't as fast to load and it's supposed to be the fastest Auto there is!

So I just checked (right next to my safe). When my bolt locks back, the shell ramp is in the down and locked position. In order to lift it, I have to push the button, thus releasing the bolt forward, but allowing the ramp to move. When I stop depressing the ramp, the only way to push the ramp back up again is to push the button. Thus every time I go to push a round in, I have to push the button first and then depress the ramp. There's a distinct point when pushing the button down to move the ramp that is about 6 lbs of pressure to break. The button is not conveniently located relevant to usual path of travel for loading a round.

Is this perhaps relevant to being an older model, or perhaps something isn't quite right?

Last Edited:
By design! What you are doing is WAY to complicated, your thinking too hard. When you go to load the shells into the mag tube, use the shell to push the button on its way in!!! Done properly, it only takes one hand feeding and running the gun, while the left hand is swinging the gun on the birds.

Hah, thanks for the fix!

Okay, so what I have is mechanically right then. I just tried using the shell to depress the button, which works a bit better. I'm still not impressed compared to my other guns, but considering the age of the design, and how much I dig the fit and swing weight of it... I'm happy enough with that.

I am 54 now the 1100 remington I have now I acquired by selling a 4h steer while in high school. I speak for myself but that button has never caused me a problem for well over three decades. I have done a lot of hunting with it and shot.a lot of trap. I have killed a lot of Michigan white tails with it. I know this gun well. There were only two problems I have had with it. 1 the O ring for the gas system and 2. The automatic ejection of shells in single trap and a rubber band fixed that. I will never get rid of my 1100 I have too many miles with it.
South of GR hu ? LOL

Heh, good video link but even he admits it's not as quick to reload as other designs.

I'm happy enough with the shell to depress the button technique for what I'll be using this for though, so it's all good! Thanks!