JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot depends on what you're loading for. Semi automatic, handguns especially, don't always feed well with short rounds.
Like Jim mentioned, stuffing the bullet in too far can also raise pressures. Assuming that you aren't near max, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just like being too long can raise pressures because you can have the bullet jammed into the rifling lands.

Model 52 Smith semi auto only takes and feeds full wad cutters loaded with the tip of the bullet even with the top of the case. That loaded round will shoot in any 38 special and has a light powder charge but goes about 750fps . Full wad cutters can be loaded a number of different oal.

9mm is normally loaded right up to max so if the bullet gets pushed back because of not enough taper crimp you could have too much pressure.

If you accidentally set a few in too far, use an impact puller and bounce them out a bit, then run them through your taper crimp again.;)

A bullet set too deep in the case will spike chamber pressures.:eek:

You are .2 under max charge according to the manufacturers loading specs using a lead round nose. You are also using hollow points which should be a shorter OAL as the 1.275 is max for ball type bullets not what you are using.

Edit: The manufacturer states 4.0 as max with the powder bullet combo you are using. I have data listing clays starting at 4.4 to a max of 4.7

You should be fine.

Last Edited:
The maximum length allowed is 1.275
This one load comes up at 1.16

So is that 1.275 from the manufacture of the actual bullet you are using? If so, why did you load them so short?

My point is if I am using hornady 230 gr hp, I use hornady's manual and find there suggested max oal. If I change bullets, I make sure to readjust my die to accommodate the new bullet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top