JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMR 4064 or VV N140 are the most accurate powders I have used for the 308. It is hard to beet
the Sierra 168 Match King. I have tried Speer, Nosler and Hornady match bullets are less accurate then
168 SMK. Type of brass is a big factor for accuracy. Consistent neck tension is the key to accuracy. I have
a huge lot of LC 71 Match brass that is giving excellent results. 5 shot .6 inch groups at 200 yards! :D

A google search found this...... (lots of info.!)

IMR 4064 or VV N140 are the most accurate powders I have used for the 308. It is hard to beet
the Sierra 168 Match King. I have tried Speer, Nosler and Hornady match bullets are less accurate then
168 SMK. Type of brass is a big factor for accuracy. Consistent neck tension is the key to accuracy. I have
a huge lot of LC 71 Match brass that is giving excellent results. 5 shot .6 inch groups at 200 yards! :D
Very good info! Are you using a bolt gun or a scary fully semi auto? I've used the SMK's in my Aero AR with decent results, not as good as your but I'm using mixed brass and different powder.

Killer . . . . .

Savage 308 Bolt gun. Nothing special stone stock. I will have to take some picks of my 200 yard targets.
Here are some 5 shots @ 100 yards. These are IMR 4064 and 168 SMK
1600819209312.png

How about Varget? I have a GA Precision in .308 that I have been using LC brass with the 168s.
I picked Varget for temperature consistentcy, but wonder if there is a better powder...

Savage 308 Bolt gun. Nothing special stone stock. I will have to take some picks of my 200 yard targets.
Here are some 5 shots @ 100 yards. These are IMR 4064 and 168 SMK
View attachment 753290
I certainly wouldn't complain about those!
It is hard to beat the Sierra 168 Match King.
That's what I always thought, and I still have ~2K of them, but never stretched them out past 500 (and don't plan to either). Then I learned that these are the ones that often tumble when passing below transonic velocities. Sniper Central : History of the M118 Ammunition

Don't have an answer for your specific question.

BUT....if you want to try the specs for M852? Search: TM 43-0001-27

Aloha, Mark

PS.....there might be a TM even more recent.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top