JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks,

I was digging through some of my cans of 7.62/308 and found this headstamp. It says LC 64 and has the cross marking. This ammo was bagged with mixed headstamps and I most likely bought the lot from Freedom Munitions five or six years ago.

Is this really brass from 1964 or am I missing something?

5E2A155E-8962-4921-8E52-D1F081C5456A.jpeg

That is pretty neat. I had no idea.

I dug through my ammo can and found

WRA 60 headstamp (x3)
WRA 61 headstamp (x2)
LC 64 headstamp (4x)
WRA 68 (1x)
LC 68 (1x)
LC 69 (1x)

Most of the ammo I have is stamped 08-13... so these are the oddballs.

I know some people collect headstamps so if you do I'm willing to do a 1 for 1 swap of 7.62/308 that you have...not looking to make any profit. It nobody wants them I'll probably just shoot them.

2BDC0740-3B8A-4E31-A1A4-A0A7D9874718.jpeg 208FF4A0-6657-4E39-B8FB-D44DE758DD6F.jpeg

20 years ago I bought a couple thousands rounds of once fired LC 7.62 nato brass and it has 3 or 4 different years production on headstamps going back to the mid 60's. It is good stuff and I think it is pretty cool I am still using brass as old as I am.

Threads like this, though not directly related to the topic, make my head explode.

The shear amount of brass, ammo, and such in existence is mind boggling!

This brass was made over 50 years ago. We never stopped making it, and we never stopped making 556. Trying to understand the quantities that exist is mind boggling. Similar to trying to comprehend the stars in the sky!

Anyways, sorry for the thread drift.

I have a bunch of LC cases saved. Some of the best brass, I've been told. Mine's 10-20 years older and bit longer, too. ;)
I really appreciate using equipment that's older than I am as most of it is very high quality.

As long as you're not loading hot or using an autoloader you can use these cases and keep them in the collection at the same time, @UnionMillsNW . I get a smile every time I come across a couple of cases when handling and reloading. Like the 243 case in 7mm-08 ammo. :s0090:

I was given 150 rounds of re-load, and maybe some factory, old, some corroded .30-06 that I was going to tear down. I was actually doing a favor for the member that gave it to me. :D I had brass in that bunch that was dated to the mid '40s, and mid '50s. Only thing salvageable was the pulled bullets which I gave away to a member that spoke up for them.

I have a large stash of 1943 dated .30-06 brass that I reserve for my main Garand, which happens to have a manufacture date of 2/43. Is seems appropriate to use that brass in that particular gun.

I have empty '06 cases from the '30s and teens and even one case dated 1906! Pretty cool keepsakes.

As @Reno stated, there are trillions and trillions of rounds out there if you add them all up. If you ask my wife she would say at least 1T of those are stashed in my house! :confused:

Anneal the necks, trim etc... reload and repeat.

Just because it's "Old Brass"......it doesn't mean that it's useless. If/When you get neck splits or if you're of a mind to retire it......

Recycle it.

Scrap metal dealers will pay you for it. That also includes any Berdan Primered brass that you might have.

Aloha, Mark

PS...And, watch for that line near the case head. It just might be a possible indicator of an incipient case head separation issue.

Last Edited:
Anneal the necks, trim etc... reload and repeat.

Just because it's "Old Brass"......it doesn't mean that it's useless. If/When you get neck splits or if you're of a mind to retire it......

Recycle it.

Scrap metal dealers will pay you for it. That also includes any Berdan Primered brass that you might have.

Aloha, Mark
But it's not likely to be pretty. But oh, I bet it has some stories to tell? And it's appearance will match the 70-80 YO M1.

70's LC brass originally ran through a M1 was good enough for less than 1 moa on the 100 yd target, 6 inch group at 450 yards in a little wind and a one shot kill elk this year. No need to buy $2 Nosler cases.

This is one of the main reasons I love gun shows. You can find all kinds of weird, old stuff. Here are a couple boxes of developmental 7.62x51 rounds. The typed labels are faded, but have all the details of the loads. The headstamps are 1952, but the label is 1954. I really should pass them on to a real collector.

A few years back I had a box of early developmental AP rounds, 1949 as I recall, T65 I think? I did end up selling that box, as a collector wanted it more than I did. The development of the 7.62 NATO is pretty interesting, and took a number of years.

IMG_2129[1].jpg IMG_2130[1].jpg IMG_2131[1].jpg IMG_2132[1].jpg

I've got over a thousand rounds of clean, shiny, sure-fire, 1938 dated 8mm Mauser ammo sitting near me as I type. It shoots as well now as It did 83 years ago. If anyone needs any, it's for sale. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top