JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just built a new <broken link removed> and I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. I've been shooting for a long time and own a few quality optics but I've never owned or used a red dot or reflex. After some research I'm considering the Burris Fastfire or Aimpoint pro. Like I said I'm at 6 pounds now and I want to keep it light. All my shooting will be at 100 yards or less. What should I get? The rifle has Mbus pros on it now.

image.jpg image hosting

Lightest weight and profile: trijicon RMR. Will do just fine under 100 on an ar.

But I would go with a aimpoint micro or trijicon MRO. Just barley anymore weight and slightly larger profile. but for some reason I feel more confident with them on a rifle.

Can't go wrong with any of the bundles posted in the link below! I will never buy another mount scalarworks are primo prime time.

Scalarworks Aimpoint and Trijicon Optic Bundles

How long is your barrel? red dot for shooting 100 yards or less you really don't need a barrel over 16" or is it just the photo that makes it look like at least an 18" and if keeping the weight down low then why the extra weight? I know I am being one of those why guys. They bug the crap out of me too when I ask a simple question of which one and they answer it with a why or why not.

but either way the burris is a good option its said to be pretty rugged they are basically the same thing both are actually red dots one is just housed in a tube which makes them a little more durable in the case of dropping it from a 2 story building onto concrete . there really is not much weight difference it you get one of those small red dots like the aimpoint T1 or the bushnell or primary arms clone of it vs a open reflex red dot. If wanting to save weight you would be better off with a shorter rail or shorter barrel that is a lot of rifle there for 100 yard shots and you loose some of its compactness with that much rail.

Sorry I had been through that light weight phase a few time guess if i can't shed the lbs off my belly might as well shed some ounces of my rifles. Been pretty darn successful at it too I must say. The key is keep it simple low profile shed anything that is not necessary if your hand only uses 6" of the rail everything else is dead weight ect.

Last Edited:
How long is your barrel? red dot for shooting 100 yards or less you really don't need a barrel over 16" or is it just the photo that makes it look like at least an 18" and if keeping the weight down low then why the extra weight? I know I am being one of those why guys. They bug the crap out of me too when I ask a simple question of which one and they answer it with a why or why not.

Barrel is 16"

I use either an EOTech, or a 2 MOA Aimpoint out to about 400 yards without magnification.
A newer model Holosun circle dot is also a good option. Barrel length doesn't matter.

I went the Aimpoint Micro and Scalrworks, but my other COMP-M4 optic on a Bobro mount is superior. Someone recently had a $500 Comp-M4 aimpoint F/S here. I would buy that over the Micro any day of the week. The extra ounces on an optic are justified. I've tried both my Aimpoints on the DD V6 and I cannot judge increase in weight with rifle and full mag. The COMP-M4 is a better more rugged package to use IMHO.

I looked up that Comp-M4 in the classifieds and bought it. I had to start somewhere and the Aimpoint looked like a safe bet. I'll have it Saturday.

I like my compM4.
I'm currently wanting (considering the Holosun 503G or Burris AR332) something for my 11.5" AR pistol, and can't decide.

No desires to break the bank!

It will grow on ya. I've set my eotech 3x magnifier on the back a few times. It's added weight, but it works well for longer distances

Well, I'd offer up the advice of my Vortex Spitfire 3x because I love it, but it's almost 13oz.

Weight is not a consideration for me after hefting my Garand.

If money is not an issue or if it's within your budget, I also recommend aim point red dots. However, if you're not trying to break the bank then the primary arms / holosun / truglo tru-tec red dots that come with both the high and low mounts are an excellent value. Also, the vortex Spark 2 which is similar has a crazy good lifetime warranty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top