JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a pistol with an aluminum grip frame and it's missing about half of the finish. Can any standard bake on finish be used on aluminum? Also, whats the best way to prep aluminum before finishing? I'm sure bead blasting it is a bad idea but I want to make sure the new finish takes.

Thanks

Don't use beads for blasting media unless you want to constantly redo your work. Bead blasting basically polishes the surface and closes the pores, making whatever you are spraying on it harder to adhere.

I personally will only use 80 or 120 grit Aluminum Oxide to prep aluminum. Then, I use some sort of MEK(Acetone or brake clean are my favorites) to clean the surface, inspect then clean again. Preheat to the specified temp(different finishes will specify different preheat and baking temps so don't use measurements from different manufactures), remove and check for oils, finger prints, etc. Clean if nec. and preheat to desired temp, spray your chosen finish and bake away!

You can also use CeraKote, Moly Resin, KG GunKote and/or Duracoat air cure. They do not require the use of an oven(though I find preheating to about 120* F really helps) and will be cured in about 5 days.

Please check out this NWFA thread showing some of my work and also feel free to email or PM me with a few questions. I'll do the best I can to help answer them all. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/custom-firearm-stands/18530-slide-mag-barrel-refinishing-glock-sig-hk-cz-kel-tec-etc-$40-$60.html

Good luck with your project! Mike

Last Edited:
Is it safe to bead blast a anodized surface? I've heard conflicting answers.

Decide what coating you want to use and just call the company and find out what they recommend, Duracoat is real good about answering question. They will recommend that you bead blast with aluminum oxide before coating for the best adhesion, in fact most manufacturers recommend bead blasting first.

Bare aluminum needs an acid etch for paint to stick well to it. That's found in the zinc chromate primer, the TwinEtch treatment, and there's another available at auto paint shops called Alumiprep.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top