JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an '80 Hi-Power with an imperfect finish. I know, I know, the gun's 30 years old - what do I expect? Well anyway, I'm thinking of refinishing it and thought I'd get some expert opinions before I do anything.

Here are my choices the way I see them:

1) Leave it the **** alone - this may be the best choice

2) Have it professionally reblued - another possible best choice

3) Duracoat - Great finish, zero originality

4) Guncoat - Hard to get perfect, zero originality

Are there other choices?

What's everyone think?

The thing I'm most concerned with is the very slight 'frost' of rust all over the gun and the pretty much solid rust on the back of the grip....

I am by no means an "expert" but if it has a significant amount of rust I would definitely get it refinished. I don't have a lot of experience with refinishing and I don't know if you wan't it to look original but you might look into rust bluing. I haven't personally done any rust bluing so I don't know what it looks like compared to other finishes, but it is supposed to be very durable. My father has an older Browning HP and I love it (I shoot it more than he does:D).

cb

Talk to Southridge,
He does duracoat, parkerizing, nickel plating, and can have it blued.

I'm leaning towards parkerizing for your HP, it would give it a military look, and is very durable.

Southridge Arms is a supporting vendor here, and does great work.

Thank you. I'm sure SouthRidge does an excellent job.

But I was looking for a place within reasonable driving distance from Salem, OR. Any ideas??

Thank you. I'm sure SouthRidge does an excellent job.

But I was looking for a place within reasonable driving distance from Salem, OR. Any ideas??

I would personally suggest you have it parked, then coated with either Moly Resin or CeraKote. I would love to refinish it for you but without my FFL(yet) I can't legally touch the frame.

Contact NorthernBornRebel as he's in Kieser, has an FFL/SOT 07 and can do both! Plus, he's just a good dude!

We share a table at the Portland Gun Show every month, he's top notch.

willamettevalleygunsmithing.com can either matte finish reblue rust blue and it will never rust again, duracoat either in gloss black or matte black, some like tactical black also.
He is located in Veneta, Oregon. Check out his site.

When you say "zero originality", are you meaning only one color? I did my gun at Next Generation Arms and this is how it turned out.

1911.jpg

One of my concerns is that the Browning and FN lettering on the sides of the slide is very light and could be lost by a too-thick refinish job. What would be the best type of finish for preserving the lettering?

Thanks!

One of my concerns is that the Browning and FN lettering on the sides of the slide is very light and could be lost by a too-thick refinish job. What would be the best type of finish for preserving the lettering?

Thanks!

CeraKote and Moly Resin go on at something like .003" thick or some super thin amount. It will still show all the lettering, serial numbers, pores, scratches and whatever else isn't removed during cleaning, degreasing or blasting. :s0155:

Koonce Custom Gunworks‎
5711 Aetna Street Southeast
Salem, OR 97317
(503) 364-0100

This guys is just east of I-5 on State Street. I know he has bluing and parkerizing tanks. Might be close enough for you.

I parkerized my 80's FN Hi-Power when I first got it back in the 80's. Lettering on slide is just fine. I sandblasted and parkerized it while working in a gunshop at the time. Also polished the ramp and lowered the ejection port a bit, and added Pachmayr grips. Still shooting just fine after all these years. Time for some Novak sights though:rolleyes:

Another option is to send it to Birdsong and have them refinish it. If you will sell it in the future this option would most likely add value to your P-35.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top