JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Glock slide is almost as expensive as a new gun. I would get a gen5 17 and then you can put any optic on it.

Thanx for the info!

I'm not seeing a slide cut on that one, placing the optic high above the bore. One of my fellow shooters mentioned a MOS G5 or something like that. Not sure if it hers was a G17 or a G34... most competitors use the G34 which is what I have.

Edit: Yup G34 MOS

UG3430103MOS-2.jpg

I'll have to do some more research... Thx!

G34 MOS Gen 5 = $669.50 retail, $650 at Bud's

Slide
Brownells (stripped, no sights) = $219.99
Suarez (stripped, no sights) = $329

Last Edited:
Whether you're running iron sight or an electronic dot, your eyes should always be on the target, not the front sight...as taught for soooo many years.

Once your front sight is on the target, it won't move unless one of two things occur...you make a decision to move it, or you have pre-ignition movement i.e. flinch, which can be somewhat trained out of people.

Can't thoroughly know what is happening down range if your sight is focused about 2 feet from your face.

For a RDS, look as you usually do...that being look for your sights, and the dot will appear. Don't go looking for the dot.

^^^ This. To put it another way:
I am pretty new to pistol shooting, but I will pass on something an instructor told our class during a basic defensive rifle class. He said that for defensive shooting, the sight only confirm point of aim. By practicing presentation, your indexing is reflexive. By the time your sights are on target you are already firing. Making sure of your target happens before moving to ready. As you move to ready, the safety goes off and sights land on target.

For example, if I know the difference between the POA and POI of my carbine is 2.5 inches low at 7 yards, I am looking at the forehead/hat brim. As my rifle comes up, the dot lands at the forehead automatically, and my shot is in the ocular cavity, instead of the lower facial area. The dot/sight picture only confirms what my stance, grip, and other aspects of proper shooting technique have already provided for me.

I say shoot shoot shoot that dot sight. Matches are a cheap way to go. Measure yourself against other competitors.
Our club does a falling steel plate pistol match every month. 22, revolver & pistol classes. I usually use a dot sight.
Also speed steel matches. It is dominated by old guys like me that can't see irons anymore and use dot sights.
DSC00145.JPG
Love the 22 target pistols with dot sights.
DSC00207.JPG

Focusing on your front sight or red dot in a gun fight is like staring at your hood ornament while driving down the road, have fun with those curves. Just as @Cerberus Group states, keep your eyes on the threat and bring the sight and/or red dot into the picture, with multiple targets do not follow the sight/dot to the next, shift your eye and follow with the sight/dot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top