JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
kinda thinking about one of these https://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard-goods/blades/darter-black
but not 100% sold on it. I guess im looking for a fighting knife with a slight bit more utility than a all out fighter. its pretty darn close to what im looking for. LOVE the fact that it includes a trainer as well.

anything similar out there? good knife shows coming up in puget sound etc.?

I am partial to my Randall SP #1 (Model 16).

1651639199950.png

What makes a "fighting" knife different than any other knife?
There's quite a few different schools of thought on that, but for the most part (in my opinion) the answer is: not a whole lot.

The only thing I can think of that I'd want in a "fighting" knife that may not be present in a "normal" knife is larger/wider tang which could keep my fingers from slipping onto the edge of the blade during a stab.

That said, there have been some very specifically designed fighting / combat knifes in history, one of which that comes to mind is the Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife, which was designed specifically for killing humans.

I really like the Original Bowie knife, excellent multi use blade that's perfect for hand to hand pig stickin, only problem is the size makes it hard to conceal and then there is the whole legal justification if you ever had to use it kinda deal!

There's quite a few different schools of thought on that, but for the most part (in my opinion) the answer is: not a whole lot.

The only thing I can think of that I'd want in a "fighting" knife that may not be present in a "normal" knife is larger/wider tang which could keep my fingers from slipping onto the edge of the blade during a stab.

That said, there have been some very specifically designed fighting / combat knifes in history, one of which that comes to mind is the Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife, which was designed specifically for killing humans.
Oh, like this?
C8884771-2F73-4DEA-A07A-27DB57166C61.jpeg

Blunt statement.

That's not enough knife for $350 . Not for a mass production model anyhow. The half-a-dragonfly logo adds more to the price of gear every time I see it. Cool looking knife, and I'm sure it's well made. 2 and change seems about right with G10 handle scales. Upgrade the handle materials and offer a bunch of sheath options or other goodies if it's going over 3 bills.

I assume the price is tied to the name game. Or maybe it's a limited run?

That magpul " rigger" knife from a couple years ago was neat , but I couldn't believe how much it sold for. And it sold out quick .

The darter is made by Toor blades. I run the Toor anaconda on my "range belt" and I carry a Toor Viper or Toor Serpent as part of my daily carry. If you're interested I would let one of them go.

kinda thinking about one of these https://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard-goods/blades/darter-black
but not 100% sold on it. I guess im looking for a fighting knife with a slight bit more utility than a all out fighter. its pretty darn close to what im looking for. LOVE the fact that it includes a trainer as well.

anything similar out there? good knife shows coming up in puget sound etc.?
I think if you are considering paying $350 for a knife for a plate carrier I'd consider other ways to spend that "tactical money" and get a knife 1/5-1/3 the price that would be sufficient.

Gerber Strongarm. Mounts either to a plate carrier or belt. I love mine and my friend loved mine so much, I bought him one. Has very many uses including being a tactical knife. Look up the reviews, for the money, it's an outstanding option for a great price.

I am partial to my Randall SP #1 (Model 16).

View attachment 1191780
that's actually quite nice, surprised me for a relative "bowie" style. how much $ though and custom order i imagine? sounds and looks spendy. not Randy or Randall Williams though right? I have a Randy/Randall Williams stiletto.
Krambit, slicin and dicin at it's finest!View attachment 1191779
krambits are sweet, Ive tossed around the idea once or twice of getting one im def. overdue for one.
What makes a "fighting" knife different than any other knife?
well you know just like women. if they have curves in all the right places, nice lines good pizzazz, and are generally Italian, Greek, Spanish, Brazilian etc. :s0026:

yeah thats the basic idea. my main issues with the darter are indeed the price, and i wish there was slightly more flare/guard at the top of the handle. i think Id be in it for about a comfy $200. i already have quite a few knifes all kinda bought on whims or for one specific reason or another. its time i get a good specific fighting knife for my "kit"
I really like the Original Bowie knife, excellent multi use blade that's perfect for hand to hand pig stickin, only problem is the size makes it hard to conceal and then there is the whole legal justification if you ever had to use it kinda deal!
yeah i like the looks but to big, and I already have an OG ranger 9" before Ontario bought them that i love. its pretty close to a Bowie. or close enough for me.
the knife just might be newer tech., I've lost track..
Blunt statement.

That's not enough knife for $350 . Not for a mass production model anyhow. The half-a-dragonfly logo adds more to the price of gear every time I see it. Cool looking knife, and I'm sure it's well made. 2 and change seems about right with G10 handle scales. Upgrade the handle materials and offer a bunch of sheath options or other goodies if it's going over 3 bills.

I assume the price is tied to the name game. Or maybe it's a limited run?

That magpul " rigger" knife from a couple years ago was neat , but I couldn't believe how much it sold for. And it sold out quick .
yeah pretty much a true statement. one of the main reasons i started this thread. it is a bit of a ask. i do think it comes with a sheath though and a trainer which helps justify it.
The darter is made by Toor blades. I run the Toor anaconda on my "range belt" and I carry a Toor Viper or Toor Serpent as part of my daily carry. If you're interested I would let one of them go.

ok very good to know, i may just be interested in that. im in a huge hurry to get a job (again) and then start blasting out money out of my wallet again.
I think if you are considering paying $350 for a knife for a plate carrier I'd consider other ways to spend that "tactical money" and get a knife 1/5-1/3 the price that would be sufficient.
yeah pretty much 100% agree. things are getting very tight.
Gerber Strongarm. Mounts either to a plate carrier or belt. I love mine and my friend loved mine so much, I bought him one. Has very many uses including being a tactical knife. Look up the reviews, for the money, it's an outstanding option for a great price.
HA i do actually like these quite a bit, Ive seen and held these quite a bit but never knew the actual name of them. yeah thats pretty close to spot on and cant argue with the price esp with the versatile scabbard. Id almost be tempted to make it just slightly stabbier though, just slightly too blunt for my taste for a "fighting knife" plus it probably be super easy to find a trainer for these models too!

ill have to check all these out tomorrow, for now though good night.

Last Edited:
I'm partial to slightly curved tanto blade designs, and @Andy54Hawken 's style of knife as shown. It has all the right features of a "combat knife".

-5"-6" blade length with a design that facilitates slashing and stabbing, and is "fast in the hand".

-Pommel that can be used to strike like a hammer.

-Guard design that prevents your gripped hand from sliding onto the blade when stabbing (ouch!)

-non-slip handle, preferably of a more "oval-ish" rather than round shape to prevent rotation in your hand and losing the "index" of your blade.

It's a bad day during a knife fight, for the pitcher and the catcher…. you don't "win" a knife fight, you merely survive it.

HA i do actually like these quite a bit, Ive seen and held these quite a bit but never knew the actual name of them. yeah thats pretty close to spot on and cant argue with the price esp with the versatile scabbard. Id almost be tempted to make it just slightly stabbier though, just slightly too blunt for my taste for a "fighting knife" plus it probably be super easy to find a trainer for these models too!
I can see that. I think if you want a knife for the tactical application as well as having a survival knife to use for other applications, it would serve you well. I use mine camping when it's not on my belt or plate carrier. Mine was a bit dull from the factory, however after being sharpened, it functions well. Without spending hundreds of dollars on other blades, give it a go. Also, it's made in Portland 😎

Esse 3,4,5,6 depending on how much weight you want to lug around.

I would favor a utility type knife over a pure fighting knife if I already had a pistol and rifle on me!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top