JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings, all!

I have ZERO experience using any sort of elk call, but would like to get one and begin practicing. I am interested in a roof-of-the-mouth, diaphragm-style call. Do people have specific make/model recommendations for a good, all-around call?

Thanks,
Josh

I use Primos, Phelps, and Carlton's. I have basic 1 reed calls as well as 2 reed calls but it really depends on whether you will be targeting bulls of cows and what sounds you want. Calls are not super cheap for what they are but I would get one of each, a bull call and a cow/calf call to cover the bases and buy multiple brands and practice with each to find the ones that you feel comfortable and confident with. And when you go into the field, bring a variety of calls because some work well in certain areas and some don't. And don't just use bull calls, cow and calf calls with bring elk in just as well, circumstances depending. Now that being said, I myself am a newbie but that is what I have learned so far.

I have a few primos.
Don't think I will ever tell the difference.

I've heard nothing but good things about phelps. Only reason I went with primos is because phelps webpage was sold out.

But I'm learning it takes a lot of practice.
I used a cut down plastic baseball bat for a call tube.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top