JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending on how old the shooters are, I think you're looking at two rifles per shooter, because anything that fits now, won't fit as they grow. I tried addressing the growth issue for young shooters with an Anschutz 1710 XLR chassis equipped 54 action, but still couldn't adjust the length of pull to fit a then nine year old granddaughter. Maybe one of the fine rifles suggested above with an aftermarket stock cut down for a smaller shooter, keeping the factory stock for later (or vice versa).

CZ 452. They are still available used, but no longer produced. Same accuracy as current models (CZ 457), but beefier action, better machining, more expensive to build (hence why its no longer made). Or, get an old school BRNO model 1 or 2. Essentially the grandad of the current CZs, just not as well known. Both should only increase in value as time goes on. Here is one:

https://www.jgsales.com/brno-model-...nal-stock,-1973,-g-vg,-used.-ff-p-107891.html

CZs have a cult following if you were not already aware. If you are willig to pony up the cash, and you can find one, a CZ 453 with the single set trigger would be fantastic. Two different trigger pulls, and collectable.
10/22 are great, but I learned on one, and I feel a bolt action would have taught me better marksmanship out of the gate.

Last Edited:
Hello CG,

CZ SCOUT 457 or 452

We have had BOTH of these (Bought NIB.) and sold the 452 and kept the 457.

SAVAGE RASCAL

We donated our 2 Rascals to our rifle range to teach Newbies in all ages plus for people sitting in a w/c.

I think that you will be looking at 2 SIZES of rifles as one poster said too. Little kids to teens to young adults.

CZ 457 Lux

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-lux/

Three of them are here in 22lr and 22wmr. I shoot the 22lr and 22wmr rifles. My husband shoots the OTHER 22wmr one.

CZ 455 Lux
One of them is here - I gave it to my husband.

ADDED more here - I just thought of this one that I forgot to list!

The CZ TRAINING bolt action rifle in 22lr. This will be TOO LONG (?) for your children NOW. IT is a sweet rifle and a tack driver!

My husband's CZ TRAINING RIFLE is not in a 457. It shows that they are going to discontinue this one in this model! A new one coming out? Beats me but I did read this just now when I wanted to give you information that I forgot to tell you. I did read some other CZ news in the past though.

THIS is a tack driver for sure!

~~~~~

Former guns of mine that were GREAT shooters, beautiful, tack drivers, classic rifles but they were MUCH HEAVIER since they were walnut/steel or walnut/brass. These might be better for them when they get OLDER and taller/heavier depending on the child or teen.

I am 5' 3" tall and not big but as I aged the HEAVIER walnut/steel rifles in RF and CF were harder for me to deal with (Arthritis, etc.) so I have NO clue how it would work when YOUR children are teens and on their future size and STRENGTH.

Lever actions in 22LR of mine in the PAST are listed BELOW - I bought them back east and some out here too.

The 22lr lever action rifles usually hold 22lr AND 22 short and 22long but NOT all of them DO so be sure that they are 22LR since that is what you specified in your post.

Browning BL 22

Winchester 94-22

Made in CT - Marlin Golden 39A - Two of them.

Henry Golden Boy - 22lr and 22wmr

Henry Carbine with the large loop so you can shoot with WINTER gloves on. This is a lighter weight rifle too. Nice walnut too.

My husband and I NO longer OWN any RF lever action rifles but he does still own 2 Made in CT - MARLIN brand CF lever action rifles in 30-30 Win. and 45-70 Government.

He owned more RF and CF lever action rifles in his life than I did. Plus TONS of bolt action rifles in the past too.

He still owns some other bolt action rifles plus those CZ RF rifles above. Those are HIS 2 top favorite RIFLE styles and actions.

We do NOT own ANY semi automatic RF or CF rifles. What he had - he sold.

I did own a SWEET Made in CT - MARLIN PAPOOSE with the blue bag. Break down rifle in 22lr - black composite and stainless steel circa late 90's to 2001. I sold that out here. That was the ONLY semi automatic rifle that I ever WANTED TO BUY and owned in my life!

I ALWAYS preferred lever action rifles and, later on, bolt action rifles once I found some that FIT ME and that I liked in their LOOKS and weight.

I ADORE beautiful, wood/blued steel and heavier lever action rifles but they are too heavy for me now. Plus with the hand issues. I am using what works for me NOW.

So mine went bye bye.

I personally never liked or bought the RUGER 10/22 so I never got one. NO offense to any person here.

My husband has owned and still owns one FAMOUS RUGER bolt action rifle in 22lr which was very expensive and he sold it's TWIN rifle in 22wmr.

I will not list my husband's ideas since it is too much to type and he is getting ready for the gym. He did have a heavy barrel Savage bolt action like one person mentioned here and he sold it to a friend. That was a tack driver too.

ALL of my guns were bought NIB over the years. Mine from the late 90's and on. His for ages on end. He has shot firearms since he was a LITTLE KID with his Dad and brothers.

I never owned a Red Ryder 1938 Replica BB gun - rifle until I was in my 40's and that was AFTER I bought and shot regular handguns and rifles.

I do not use scopes, I never liked scopes and I NEVER PUT ONE SCOPE on any firearm that I bought/owned. I use iron sights with my Rx eyeglasses that I have worn since I was 5 years old. (I do not hunt. I have shot at longer distances but not way, way FAR AWAY too.)

You should TEACH YOUR KIDS to shoot using iron SIGHTS in my opinion too. NO offense if this seems forward towards you here. Typo - sights not scopes!

I hope that this is not too LONG for you to read and that it helps you, your wife and children.

Best wishes to you!

Cate
PS: If I forgot something, I will add more to this later on.

I do not own any sound suppressors or 'silencers'. I do not think that people should have to pay more money and get special licenses for EXTRA hearing protection.

They should have passed that DEAL with other PRO GUN laws but they did not do that.

I can't help you there when it comes to what FITS on what rifle. You will have to check that out when you choose a specific rifle for your children.

ADDED more information that I forgot to tell you. Plus typos.

Last Edited:
So, my wee ones are, slowly, being taught the skills with airguns at the present. When they are tween-age-ish, we're buying them both a .22LR rifle for a birthday or Christmas gift. Now, that, for both of them, is a few years out. However, in talking with their mother last night, we're thinking of buying them each one now, and then just stash them until they've reached an age where it is appropriate. Her reasoning, and I can't really argue against it, is there will likely be little let up with the anti-2A BS in coming years, so might as well get ready now.

I have to plead semi-ignorant on .22s as I simply find them uninteresting. The lady of the house shoots more of them and owns three at the present (Walther P22, Ruger 10/22, and a copy of the Soviet Margolin) and she had a few ideas.

So, what say you for lil' pews for lil' people that:

Must haves:

• Safe, obviously.
  • A rifle, not a handgun.
  • Be chambered in standard .22LR.
  • Be sized appropriately for a child. (My children, at this stage of development, are well with in averages, nor do they have any disability, so nothing unusual on that front.)
  • Be able to be cycled by someone with upper body strength consistent with the aforementioned.
  • A quality piece produced by a name company, with decent aftermarket support.
  • Good sights or at least the ability for a competent gunsmith to add them.
Nice to haves:

• Threaded for a silencer. It would make quiet instruction time a lot more convenient for either or both of the big people. But not a deal breaker.
  • The ability, albeit much later, to install a scope.
  • Preferably traditionally styled, but I realize that distinction doesn't mean much now.
Beyond that, not much else. I go back and forth on a semi or a manually operated, with a strong proclivity towards a lever gun, but I am open to all sorts of ideas.

Thanks all!
I would go with an armscorp m14y. Youth sized bolt action. 10 round mag. 18" threaded barrel. Simple wood and metal except for the magazine release which is plastic. Not an heirloom type gun but cost is around $120. I bought 2 of them and accuracy is really good and better than I thought. A bolt action single shot is another good option but I don't know what to recommend for those. Both are good safe options to learn gun handling and shooting imo.

566943CC-095F-400C-B0E3-BB6F08141E15.png

I'd get a CZ 457 Scout. Great sights, threaded barrel, and can grow as the kids get older. Also, it's a steal at $350.

View attachment 1295101

CZ457 Scout hands down.

Mine will hone his skills with his single shot for at least the next 2-4 years before he starts on the CZ. However it's basically for him.

View attachment 1295111 View attachment 1295112
100% this ^^^^^

The CZ457 Scout is the answer. I have the same model as pictured in Reno's post and enjoy shooting it immensely. Yes the stock pull is a little short but still very comfortable and workable for a full size adult. I would say CZ is the starting point for multi-generation quality in the rimfire world. From there you get into guns like Cooper model 57M's, Anschutz model 54's like the 1710, 1712 and 1761, used Kimber's, Sako Quad, Winchester Model 52 sporter, BRNO Model 1, Martini Henry and the list goes on.

I think I was 11 years old when I got my first rifle.

It was a Marlin 101. Single-shot, bolt action.

2482BD1E-269E-4DDC-B4C6-EBAE613FBC47.jpeg

I have a Henry .410 lever-action in the safe, waiting for my youngest grandson. Bought it for him when he was one year old. He's three now, so we have a bit of a wait ahead of us. I'm hoping he'll be a squirrel-hunting partner for me.

100% this ^^^^^

The CZ457 Scout is the answer. I have the same model as pictured in Reno's post and enjoy shooting it immensely. Yes the stock pull is a little short but still very comfortable and workable for a full size adult. I would say CZ is the starting point for multi-generation quality in the rimfire world. From there you get into guns like Cooper model 57M's, Anschutz model 54's like the 1710, 1712 and 1761, used Kimber's, Sako Quad, Winchester Model 52 sporter, BRNO Model 1, Martini Henry and the list goes on.
And while waiting, or after the kids get older, get an adult 457 stock and keep using it. I managed a 457 varmint stock off here a while back and put my scout in it. Bought a 527 front fiber optic blade and filed it to fit the scout. Combined with a skinner rear peep sight it's a hell of a plinker.

I think I was 11 years old when I got my first rifle.

It was a Marlin 101. Single-shot, bolt action.

View attachment 1295583

I have a Henry .410 lever-action in the safe, waiting for my youngest grandson. Bought it for him when he was one year old. He's three now, so we have a bit of a wait ahead of us. I'm hoping he'll be a squirrel-hunting partner for me.
That brings back memories. When a kid several people had one of those things. My first I did not buy was one of the old Win pumps. Probably a 62 but been so long not sure. It had been Dad's LONG before got passed on to me. Kind of sad I let it go when it literally got worn out. Only .22 I remember ever seeing actually get worn out so bad it was really not safe any more. Be fun to have something like that now for kids but suspect the cost to manufacture them now days would make it hard.

Lots of great choices. The Ruger American Rimfire has an adjustable stock module you can change out for shorter or longer length of pull and it takes 10/22 mags. However, I really like the CZ 457 Scout. I paid extra for the laminate version (because I like laminate, so sue me) and have it outfitted with a rear Skinner peep sight and a Montana sling. It can take all CZ 452/455/457 magazines but comes with a single shot adapter. The action can also be dropped into an adult size stock or the barrel changed all relatively easily once they outgrow the dimensions. Here's a pic of mine (pardon the glare).

CZ_457_Scout_Laminate_Side_1_2021-09-17.jpg

A closer shot of the peep sight mounted:
CZ_457_Scout_Laminate_Side_2_2021-09-17.jpg

Plenty of room to work the bolt:
CZ_457_Scout_Laminate_Bolt_Sight_1_2021-09-17.jpg

It's got a bit of heft but it's compact and well built. Also threaded barrel from the factory and is super quiet with my suppressor and accurate.

Good luck with your choice, but it would be hard to go wrong. The CZ Scout is going to be the first real gun my kids shoot after they get more trigger time with their BB guns and their grandpa's pellet gun.

If measure 114 get voted in, you might not be able to get high capacity magazines anymore even for 22s, Stock up now for the future. My boys was introduced to bolt action 22s when they were little. Once they got into semi-auto, they never went back. As teens, they got introduced to high capacity mags and after 20 years, still using them.

I would look at pawn shops for some vintage brand name bolts actions for cheap. If this was to be a keep sake I would lean toward a Henry lever.

Last Edited:
Look for guns that are short, light barrel and short stocks. that puts the weight back between their hands, not out on the barrel . Look for youth stocks, they are not adult stocks with the end cut short. but instead are reduced in the wrist to move the trigger finger in toward the trigger guard.
You probably are not going to find a gun that grows with them, but will be putting them on the right track by getting them something they can shoot well at their size.
If you go single shot, look for actions that feed from a tray, the Crickets, Chipmunks etc... all have to have the bullet placed into the chamber and then close the bolt. little fingers are not always up to that job. The Savage MK1 you drop the round in the tray and close the bolt. MK2 is mag fed but has a single shot adapter available. again tray fed. Good Luck DR

Ruger 10/22 compact, savage mark II, savage rascal, Ruger American rimfire, or Henry lever youth.

If semi auto is the desire, I'd get 10/22 hands down. You can find take off stocks for like $25-$40 and chop the lop down to fit kiddos. If you want a starter rifle, savage rascal

I like the looks of lever actions but operating them was always hard on my fingers. Not sure I'd hand a newbie or a youngster a semiauto. That leaves bolt actions or a Heritage revolving rifle.

I bought a Heritage as a lark because I'm a single action fan, but I love shooting it with a magnum cylinder ($30 from the factory). LR or WMR, single action, has a safety lever, lightweight, and has iron sights.

Heritage.jpg

As others have said, a single shot or magazine fed bolt action for now.

But also buy and set aside a Ruger 10/22 for later with plenty of magazines. In the face of M114, best to buy everything you might ever need, as soon as possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top