JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, my wee ones are, slowly, being taught the skills with airguns at the present. When they are tween-age-ish, we're buying them both a .22LR rifle for a birthday or Christmas gift. Now, that, for both of them, is a few years out. However, in talking with their mother last night, we're thinking of buying them each one now, and then just stash them until they've reached an age where it is appropriate. Her reasoning, and I can't really argue against it, is there will likely be little let up with the anti-2A BS in coming years, so might as well get ready now.

I have to plead semi-ignorant on .22s as I simply find them uninteresting. The lady of the house shoots more of them and owns three at the present (Walther P22, Ruger 10/22, and a copy of the Soviet Margolin) and she had a few ideas.

So, what say you for lil' pews for lil' people that:

Must haves:

• Safe, obviously.
  • A rifle, not a handgun.
  • Be chambered in standard .22LR.
  • Be sized appropriately for a child. (My children, at this stage of development, are well with in averages, nor do they have any disability, so nothing unusual on that front.)
  • Be able to be cycled by someone with upper body strength consistent with the aforementioned.
  • A quality piece produced by a name company, with decent aftermarket support.
  • Good sights or at least the ability for a competent gunsmith to add them.
Nice to haves:

• Threaded for a silencer. It would make quiet instruction time a lot more convenient for either or both of the big people. But not a deal breaker.
  • The ability, albeit much later, to install a scope.
  • Preferably traditionally styled, but I realize that distinction doesn't mean much now.
Beyond that, not much else. I go back and forth on a semi or a manually operated, with a strong proclivity towards a lever gun, but I am open to all sorts of ideas.

Thanks all!

Last Edited:
My favorite .22 is my Henry Golden Boy. The only negative is it's not threaded for suppression. It's my primary rat whacker.

A Ruger 10/22 is never a wrong answer and come in a huge array of configurations, not to mention the aftermarket for them is unparalleled. I have a takedown model that I assembled from a Brownell's receiver and fits in my hunting pack, which can go where I go without getting in the way.

I also have a Ruger American Rimfire that has a heavy barrel, good stock and threaded muzzle. It's virtually silent with subsonics. Bonus feature is it uses 10/22 mags.

I've never used on personally, but the S&W AR-15 lookalikes seem to get good reviews.

I wholly Agree and endorse the Savage MK-II, it's a well proven rifle, that can grow with the wee-ones in time! You can even get one with target style irons, which makes them stand above all others at any price! Bonus is the MK-II was a "Gift" in that it was jointly produced with Anchutz, the latter who simplified their much beloved Mod 54 to be less expensive and easier to mass produce, while maintaining the world renowned accuracy potential Both Companies are well known for! The Sav. MK-II is a stripped down Anchutz Mod-64, Same action, same barrel, Same basic trigger, same magazines, not as fancy, or with that killer stock, BUT, they benefit from most all the Anchuts parts/accessories, including sights! From the basic MK-II, you can change stocks to a number of slick designs, and tweak it to your hearts content! I have Both Rifle's, ( different needs/purpose) and they both shoot lights out all day long!
1666139963973.png

I'd look for an older Remington 510 or 514.
Andy
Agreed, any of the older Remmy 500 Series would be most excellent, especially the Tube Magazine rifles!
I have a 541T-HB, and it's as good as they get, though as a modern version has a detachable box mag, and a oversized bolt handle, otherwise, it's identical to my Dads old 512 Target!

Even better, though SPENDY, would be a Winchester Mod-52!

The Ruger American youth fills a lot of the bucket list. Uses easy to find 10/22 mags. Iron sights but scope-able. Shorts size, but the butt section of the stock is replaceable with longer or with a higher comb. Even available threaded I believe.

It's not as pretty as a Henry, Remington 500 series, or Winchester. But it would be a practical choice…

My suggestion would be a bolt action, just because every motion is deliberate. Best way to learn all the fundamentals, easy to clean, and simple to understand. The aforementioned Savage was in my mind.

Even better, though SPENDY, would be a Winchester Mod-52
Ditto the Browning BL-22.

Remember, if the fit isn't correct they will not learn proper handling and sight picture.

With the butt of the stock cradled in the crook of their elbow their trigger finger should just rest on the trigger. If not, the stock is too long for them. The stock can always be lengthened later by adding a recoil pad as they grow.

Thanks all. Great ideas for us to research! Keep'em coming.

(There's a lot of reasons why I wish my children to know these skills. One important one is passing on the tradition. Ronnie once said "Freedom is a fragile thing and it's never more than one generation away from extinction.")

CZ457 Scout hands down.

Mine will hone his skills with his single shot for at least the next 2-4 years before he starts on the CZ. However it's basically for him.

4493EEB4-5757-4B38-8CD3-3A22D4D7F7EE.jpeg 222463E3-0347-4CA6-B7D4-1F4D1D82B0E1.jpeg

I long ago when kids were young I bought a 10/22 that was sold as youth model IIRC. Shorter, lighter, Kmart had them. Kids loved it to learn on. Looking at the site looks like they call it compact model now. 12inch LOP should be fine for any kids wanting to learn and of course nice thing about 10/22 is they can just change stocks later to anything they want as they grow.

I think it somewhat depends on the purpose of the rifle. If this was a keepsake type of rifle I choose differently then a one for just a stepping stone type. A Nylon 66 would be high on the list as would an older all metal or custom built uikt 10/22 with that childs favorite color stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top