JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know absolutely nothing about picking locks. But I'd like to learn. Can anyone recommend a good resource to start with and a decent set of quality picks? There seem to be a lot of sets on the market ranging from small to large. What's good to start with...how many picks do I need and what kind?

Thanks Guys! :)

I learned how to pick locks by watching a couple of YouTube videos. Start by picking master locks they where the easiest for me.
I made my own picks out of a Allen wrench & old hack saw blade.
Hope that helps it kind of fun one you get the feel for it

This is a good starter kit:

610F3BDA-3364-4AD7-B707-FB45F745DC31.jpeg

These guys have good videos and equipment:
Lock Picking 101

As to why, of course there is the "learn new stuff." This is a practical skill though. A few months ago we needed to get into a trophy case at work. Nobody had an idea where the key was and by the looks of the dust, it had been a very long time since it was opened. Out to my truck to get my kit and a few minutes later we had the case opened. Same with various cabinets or vacant desk/cubicle storage.

A month or so ago I drove about 30 miles to where our RV is stored to do some maintenance. As I pull up, I realize I left the keys at home. No worries! Handy kit in truck and in about 5 mins I was in!

Here is the set I have.
Bogota_4_Piece_Toolset_1024x1024@2x.jpg

These guys have good videos and equipment:
Lock Picking 101

As to why, of course there is the "learn new stuff." This is a practical skill though. A few months ago we needed to get into a trophy case at work. Nobody had an idea where the key was and by the looks of the dust, it had been a very long time since it was opened. Out to my truck to get my kit and a few minutes later we had the case opened. Same with various cabinets or vacant desk/cubicle storage.

A month or so ago I drove about 30 miles to where our RV is stored to do some maintenance. As I pull up, I realize I left the keys at home. No worries! Handy kit in truck and in about 5 mins I was in!

Here is the set I have.
View attachment 544402

I had a friend at work that called it "lock sport" and gave me a small set of tools.

The same curiosity that impels some people to learn computer system security. A healthy curiosity is a good thing as long as no laws are broken, it can serve you surprisingly well.

Cheers!
Nothing wrong with learning new skills. Could come in handy some day. Handcuffs are easily defeated as well :)

Is it legal to carry a lock picking set in WA and OR? I learned In CA, but I thought it was illegal to carry, so I usually didn't. A set would have saved me a lot of misery a few months ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top