JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Today the "National Reciprocity Act" passed the US House on a 231-198 vote.

While national reciprocity would be a good thing for gun owners, and override Oregon's ridiculous refusal to recognize a single other state's concealed handgun license, the bill was coupled with terrible legislation dubbed "Fix NICS".

Unfortunately "Fix NICS" vastly expands the flawed and failed Brady background check law and will no doubt ensnare many more people who will be denied their right to purchase a firearm as a result of faulty background checks.

"Fix NICS" was supported by anti-gun organizations as well as NRA and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, always a troubling alliance.

Ultimately no amount of legislation is going to change the fact that human error is responsible for the mess that the background check system is.

Now many people who are in no way dangerous or "criminal" are going to be added to the list of prohibited people. Nothing in the legislation provides any recourse for persons falsely denied.

The bill faces a very uncertain future in the Senate where it is quite possible that the reciprocity language could be stripped out leaving us with only more gun control.

It that happens, when the bill goes back to the House, the supporters of reciprocity will have a hard time opposing the new gun control they voted for.

The post Reciprocity Passes… With a Poison Pill appeared first on Oregon Firearms Federation.

------
Oregon Firearms Federation

It's a net positive. Period. If the reciprocity stuff is taken out, then it is no longer a reciprocity bill and it will fail. We should stop rejecting small wins only to never get the large wins.

This was explained on Lars Larson today and the Fix NICS part of it does not expand any of who ends up on the Bad guy list. I only makes sure those who should be on the list get there. It also fixes the appeals process from taking around a year down to 60 days. Nothing in that sounds bad to me.

This was explained on Lars Larson today and the Fix NICS part of it does not expand any of who ends up on the Bad guy list. I only makes sure those who should be on the list get there. It also fixes the appeals process from taking around a year down to 60 days. Nothing in that sounds bad to me.
Yeabut poison pills are poisonous, man. Get with it!

lol

It's a net positive. Period. If the reciprocity stuff is taken out, then it is no longer a reciprocity bill and it will fail. We should stop rejecting small wins only to never get the large wins.

We should stop accepting small wins with big losses. The FOPA came with the 'machine gun ban' attached, which was a net loss.

Where did you read that the Fix NICS part of the bill is a "big loss"? I don't know anything about the bill, but I tend to trust the GOP House. Now, the Senate I wouldn't trust with my breakfast!

Dana Loesh also mentioned something about that there are provisions in the NICS rider that actually personally penalize politicians (or responsible departments/organizations) for not complying.... like taking your name off the restricted list when they're supposed to!

I do see this bill, if it passes the senate, which it should, as a net positive for us. Our 2A rights are based in the constitution, and they are rights that supersede state's rights, just as no state can pass a law restricting our 1st amendment rights. Fact is, we shouldn't need a damn CHL/CPL in the first place, the requirement of a license to conceal carry is an infringement in and of itself. But since that's not going away, I should have the right to carry and protect myself anywhere in the country where I'm a damn citizen. It's time to put the screws to the states that prevent us from protecting ourselves simply because we drove across some line on a map.

As for Fix NICS, well yes, it needs some fixing, but I'm not convinced this is a 'poison pill', that seems a bit like hyperbole to me. I guess it remains to be seen. Fact is we can't do anything for or against this bill, so I'm going to look for the positive, because it's damn time we got a win for gun rights, especially on the national level.

Plus, I can't wait to watch folks like Nancy Pelosi, etc. have their damn heads explode the day Trump signs this into law - that will be a good day, almost as good as the day that Hillary went down in a very, very, very humiliating defeat to Trump.

Today the "National Reciprocity Act" passed the US House on a 231-198 vote.

While national reciprocity would be a good thing for gun owners, and override Oregon's ridiculous refusal to recognize a single other state's concealed handgun license, the bill was coupled with terrible legislation dubbed "Fix NICS".

Unfortunately "Fix NICS" vastly expands the flawed and failed Brady background check law and will no doubt ensnare many more people who will be denied their right to purchase a firearm as a result of faulty background checks.

"Fix NICS" was supported by anti-gun organizations as well as NRA and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, always a troubling alliance.

Ultimately no amount of legislation is going to change the fact that human error is responsible for the mess that the background check system is.

Now many people who are in no way dangerous or "criminal" are going to be added to the list of prohibited people. Nothing in the legislation provides any recourse for persons falsely denied.

The bill faces a very uncertain future in the Senate where it is quite possible that the reciprocity language could be stripped out leaving us with only more gun control.

It that happens, when the bill goes back to the House, the supporters of reciprocity will have a hard time opposing the new gun control they voted for.

The post Reciprocity Passes… With a Poison Pill appeared first on Oregon Firearms Federation.

------
Oregon Firearms Federation

Here's a link to, what I believe, is text of the actual bill: Text - H.R.4477 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Fix NICS Act of 2017
I can't find anything to verify the claims of OFF and GOA regarding being put on the prohibited list for outstanding warrants. Does anyone have any information to verify their claims?

I, too, just went and read the actual text of the Fix NICS bill. There is nothing bad in the bill at all, that is unless you are someone who is against background checks at all. The bill is requiring that:
1) Agencies certify that they are actually updating the NICS system with correct and current info, including domestic violence
2) LE Agencies must be informed when prohibited persons buy a gun through the system (I wish it required that LE agencies go arrest prohibited persons who attempt to buy a gun and were denied...)

Here's a stupid part:
3) All crimes committed with bump stocks shall be reported and tallied (uh, let's see...only ONE famous crime in Las Vegas that is being completely covered up and ignored)

I didn't see a single thing in this bill that frightens me. I don't believe much that the media tells me anymore, including media that is "on my side."

Last Edited:
What part of "...shall not be infringed" did I miss?

I guess that I should get in line for my "permit to attend church?"

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR